The One

A/N: I don't know where these ideas keep coming from! But I hope you like this next one-shot as you get excited for Richozzy endgame (finally!!) next week! Enjoy! <3

Richelle's POV:
"She can't do it," Kenzie said. My head snapped up.
"What do you mean she can't do it?" I demanded.
"It's broken. Her ankle. She broke her ankle." I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

We were standing on the side of the Nationals stage, watching the rival studios' solos. Until this moment, I'd felt so grateful to be here. After Step Inside, I had joined forces with Kenzie as co-captains, and after a lot of work, the competition had finally arrived. It was now nearly time for Ebby's solo; she was on after the next dancer. Except that now she was injured and The Next Step was in big trouble.

I sucked in a sharp breath, my eyes shut.
"So, what are we going to do, Kenzie?" I asked, my voice full of desperation.
"Isn't it obvious?" Kenzie replied. "You have to do it." I shot her an incredulous look.
"Excuse me?"
"Richelle, this was always supposed to be your solo. I don't trust anyone else on the team to go out there and win. We've got no choice."

I continued to stare at her, mouth hanging slightly open. I was shocked, but deep down a part of me felt like she was right. What was it Ozzy had said? You can do anything. His voice echoed in my mind. And with that, my mind was made up - I was going to dance the solo.
"Okay, quick, you have to help me get changed. Let's go!"

After the fastest outfit change I'd ever done, I was stood side-stage, eyes focused straight ahead. As the voice called "The Next Step", I felt myself walk out in front of the crowd. The experience was dizzying.

I looked out into the audience, past the blaring lights in my eyes, and saw a familiar head of  dark curls standing alongside the masses of people. My heart leapt in my chest.

Ozzy.

As the familiar notes of "Symmetry Of" began to echo from the speakers, I moved with newfound confidence. My body contorted in ways it never had done before, and I was dancing with a weightlessness I hadn't felt in a long time. Not since that duet in the show. The duet with Ozzy.

The dance was over much more quickly than I expected, and as I took my last step, I lifted my head to see the entire audience on their feet. My ears were defeaned by the roaring applause coming from the thousands of spectators, and a wide smile spread across my face. I looked towards Ozzy, where he was smiling at me with so much pride.

I ran off the stage, where my team greeted me, gushing with excitement and congratulations.
"Richelle, that was amazing!" Kenzie exclaimed.
"Thanks. I just hope I did enough."

At that moment, a figure emerged from the doorway, and once again my heart tried to escape from my ribcage. He didn't say anything, he just stood there and smiled. I was taking strides towards him when another voice suddenly caught me off guard.

"Richelle!" Chad said, as he picked me up off of my feet and span me around. "You were incredible!" I was utterly speechless as I steadied myself back on the ground, trying to make sense of what was happening. As Chad continued to compliment my solo, I looked over at Ozzy. I felt my insides twist as I saw the hurt spreading over his face, before he slipped back out of the door.

Before I had the chance to follow him, I was being ushered back onstage, where I awaited the results. Desperately scanning the audience, I found Ozzy stood in the back corner. As hurt as I could tell he was, he was still supporting me and waiting to hear how I'd done.

"And the title of Absolute Dance National Soloist goes to..." I swallowed a lump growing in my throat. "Richelle, from The Next Step!" The crowd erupted once more and A-Troupe were jumping around ecstatically in the wings. But all I could focus on was the defeated-looking boy slipping out of the back door of the auditorium.

Ignoring the judge trying to hand me a trophy, I darted towards the front of the stage and before I realised what I was doing, I had jumped off the end and was flying past the shocked faces of the crowd.
"Ozzy!" I shouted, as I ran through the lobby. He turned to face me, surprised.
"Richelle? What are you doing? Didn't you just win?" I shook my head.
"I don't care," I responded, breathless. "I had to come and talk to you. You left."

Confusion washed over his features.
"I just wanted to give you your space. I didn't realise you were with Chad and when I saw him coming to celebrate with you, I didn't want to intrude..." His eyeline fell to the floor, unable to hold my gaze any longer.

Despite everything, it was a laugh that passed through my lips.
"I'm not with Chad, Ozzy. In fact, I have no idea what he's doing here. The only person I wanted to celebrate with was you," I said, just realising just how much I meant it. He met my gaze once more, stunned.
"Me?" he questioned, his voice barely audible. "Why me?"

"Because," I struggled to find the words. Despite recovering from the running, my breath still came out ragged and disjoint, adrenaline coursing through my veins. "Because I..."

Suddenly resolute on what I had to do, I closed the gap between us and pressed my lips to his. He didnt respond straight away, clearly in shock. But within a few seconds, he was returning my advances ferociously, passion driving our every movement. I tangled my fingers in his hair as he gripped my waist and lifted me off of the ground. I felt his smile against my lips as he settled me to the ground and our foreheads rested against each other.

"Good answer," he whispered. I let out a quiet laugh.
"Ozzy," I breathed. And in that moment, I felt whole again.