The Neighbors

KATHLEEN

"Kathy!"

I blink slowly.

"Dean!"

I turn my head to face the boy lying beside me. He smiles softly, throwing an arm over my waist and pulling me closer.

"Kathy!"

The voice outside the door doesn't cease. Nor does their knocking.

"Maybe," Dean whispers, running his nose against my cheek, "If we're quiet enough, she'll think we're still asleep."

"Mmm." A smile spreads across my lips.

I slide my eyes shut as his lips brush my pulse, my jaw. The featherlight touch nearly enough to lull me back into the place between sleep and reality.

A faint creak sounds at the back of my mind, and I suck in a deep breath, awaiting what's to come.

Footsteps.

Short, scratchy strides as the person tip toes towards the bed, feet never leaving the ground.

"Kathleen Jennifer Lane Qwynn." Hesitantly, I peak upwards to see a pouty Sloane standing by my side, arms crossed. "And Dean... I don't know your middle name, Redding."

"Austin," I murmur, and he squeezes his arms around me. I send a soft grin over my shoulder when Sloane stamps her foot.

"It's Halloween!"

"We know, Sloane."

"Do you?" A new voice hums. Sly, like a fox, comes Lia. She saunters into the room, black hair floating behind her. "Because it seems to me, you're still in bed."

I crane my neck towards the alarm clock on the night stand. "It's nine in the morning on a Saturday. Pardon me for trying to sleep in."

"It's not just any old Saturday," Sloane argues. "There's so much to do— you have to get up! Get dressed!" She claps, jumping in place, her beam practically lighting up the otherwise dark bedroom.

"Just give us another hour," Dean mumbles, running a coarse hand over his face.

"Absolutely not," the blonde quips. She's silent for a moment— a very short moment, before her eyes seem to grow in size. "Dean, I still have your care bear costume." She smirks. "If you don't get up, I'll be forced to grab it from my closet."

"Our closet?" I ask. "Where?"

"Top shelf, three millimeters from the wall, half an inch behind the box of color coded gift bags. I vacuum sealed it."

My head sinks into the pillow. "That checks out," I whisper.

Lia cocks her head, grinning down at us. "You've got five minutes to be in the kitchen before I grab the spray bottle."

"Spray bottle?" Dean questions.

Sloane makes a sound. "Kathy's not wearing a shirt, and if she and Dean engaged in coitus last night, they'll need a shower. Twenty minutes seems more appropriate."

The three of us groan in unison, Lia already halfway out the door. "Thanks, Sloane," I mutter.

"You're welcome." She turns on her heel, skipping out of the room. I twist in Deans hold, leaning into his body. His warmth is captivating; like a shield against everything dark in the world.

But unfortunately, it isn't enough to block out the shouted words that come from Sloane's mouth, moments before the door slams shut:

"Judd made pancakes!"