Chapter Thirteen: First Assignment

"Well, my work here is done," Madame Ether announced while rising triumphantly to her feet. "I have spoken with Tsutomu and urged him to take his business elsewhere."

Her gaze drifted towards Ichiro while he smiled stiffly. As satisfying as it had been, there was also something disconcerting about how the spiritual medium had scolded and threatened to beat Tsutomu earlier. It had reminded him of a domineering mother disciplining her unruly child, and he could only hope never to have the misfortune of crossing her.

However, the next words to come from Madame Ether's mouth put a swift end to that possibility.

"Futoshi, could you leave the room for a few minutes? I need to speak with your nephew about something that has come to my attention."

Ichiro's heart raced as Futoshi placed a finger against his chin in contemplation before slumping his shoulders with a groan.

"Of course. Just don't do anything inappropriate."

At that, Futoshi departed the living room and left Ichiro to the mercy of the old woman he had already grown to fear. Madame Ether looked upon him again and shuffled her way back towards the table where the teapot and empty teacups lay.

"Come, sit down, young man." She gestured with a wave of her forearm. "There's no need to be afraid."

Ichiro knew he didn't have much of a choice. He dragged his feet forward and knelt opposite her, hoping such a position would allow for an easy escape if the situation turned unfavorable.

Madame Ether nodded, seemingly pleased with his compliance. She placed her wrinkled hands on both knees and straightened her arched back.

"I think you know what I want to talk to you about."

"My serving of the tea earlier?"

"No," Madame Ether replied without hesitation. "Although, you performed well despite the less than-quality equipment."

"I see. What have I done wrong then?"

Madame Ether's narrow eyes suddenly widened. "Nothing! Quite the opposite, in fact!"

"What?" Ichiro flinched.

"I may be an old woman whose best years are behind me, but my senses are as strong as ever. So don't think I didn't notice where you were looking during my ritual."

Ichiro thought again about the earlier commotion. "Well, I found it hard not to. You were making quite some noise."

"That isn't the point. Most people are happy to mind their business while I work, but you kept glancing in Tsutomu's direction and even followed him with your eyes a few times."

"I don't understand what you're trying to say."

"Young man, Tsutomu is a ghost."

"Oh," Ichiro muttered as he finally began to realize. "But Futoshi-"

"He was too busy drinking tea and helping himself to food in the kitchen. Just like my other clients around lunchtime."

The mention of food reminded Ichiro that he needed to eat soon, too, so he waited restlessly for Madame Ether to finish communicating her message.

"You're doing a poor job of hiding your gift, and your uncle is a fool to be none the wiser."

Ichiro felt overwhelmed by the revelation and wondered why he'd been oblivious until now. "I see. I suppose it is remarkable..."

Madame Ether leaned sideways to rummage through her bright red purse. "Your uncle owes me 4500 yen for today, but you should offer to help him in the future. It will save money and give you a chance to sharpen your perception."