CHAPTER TWENTY - EIGHT

Good morning, lovely readers. I sincerely apologise for not posting last week, Friday and yesterday. I'm in a super hectic season, and getting even time to rest is becoming difficult. Yesterday's chapter will be uploaded hopefully before the end of today. 

=====

Two weeks later, news reached Mrs. Rogers that the two men who carried out the arson on Mr. Moses' supermarket were missing in action.

"Madam, I smell foul play. Someone is messing with us." Her top henchman declared with concern.

"When did you see them last?" She asked.

"Two days ago."

"They were given a new assignment by a new client and they left to meet the client and never returned. They literally disappeared."

Mrs. Rogers' phone buzzed and she saw a message on her whatsapp. She gasped as she looked at its content. Pictures of the missing men, bound and beaten black and blue were sent to her. Another message entered.

"You are 'IT.'"

Her henchman saw she looked strange.

"Madam, are you okay?"

Mrs. Rogers showed him the message from a private number. The phone started ringing, a call from an unknown caller.

"Hello."

"Your goons will be ready for collection. They are now at your house." A deep voice said at the other end of the line.

Fear ripped through Mrs. Rogers' heart. If Jerry Rogers finds them, it will be all over. She quickly informed her chief henchman what was up.

"Please take care of it. Go and wait there so that when they are dropped off, you can pick them up."

The man left and Mrs. Rogers' heart continued to beat heavily. The main question was,

"Who recognized the men as her henchmen?"

*****

Sonia had moved into a new house and she invited her mother over. She could not remain in the house where she was almost killed and defiled. Just like her house with Michael that held painful memories, she had to let this one go too. She bought herself a 5 roomed bungalow and settled in quickly. By the time she arrived from work after her mother confirmed her coming, she found that supper was ready. She freshened up and changed.

"Sonia, come and eat o." Her mother called out.

Sonia joined her mother at the executive 8-seater dining table.

"Thank you Mum. How is everyone?"

"Your father and brother are well and they are so happy and proud of you. Your father is over the moon and won't stop bragging about his strong and successful daughter."

Sonia smiled. They prayed and began to dig into the jollof rice her mother made.

As they ate and chatted briefly, she updated her mother about Caroline and David.

"Why would she hide something like that from me? I honestly don't need pretenders in my life. First, David abandoned me, and when I thought my friend was back for me, he ran off with my cousin. Does he see me now as damaged?"

"No Sonia! You are not damaged. What happened is in the past. You must move on."

"Move on? How am I supposed to do that with so much darkness surrounding me? Until I get rid of this darkness, I can't have peace."

Her mother sighed and replied,

"Please, take things easy, and by God's mighty grace you will be back fully on your feet again and maybe even find love again." Her mother added the last bit with a small smile.

"This is a new year Mum and I will live my life to the full. By the way, I found out who set Dad's shop on fire."

Her mother dropped her spoon and looked at her daughter expectantly for more information.

"You did?"

"Yes, and I have taken care of them. They confessed but I want to check with you if you want it to go to court."

Mrs. Moses shook her head in the negative,

"I will discuss it with your father. But I don't think there is any need. Your mother in-law took care of restoring the shop."

Sonia rolled her eyes and muttered to herself,

"I hope you see her for who she really is soon."

======

OWOLAFE INDUSTRIAL prospered under Sonia's care. On the eve of what should have been her third year wedding anniversary, she discovered something strange: someone had conspired against her and made a transfer of 20 Million Naira into her personal account. The Board of Directors found it strange and began their investigations. But she was suspended pending the results. Sonia could not believe her hard work was being snatched out of her hands. It did not take long for tongues to wag about how she recently bought a house and living large. Sonia got home and cried. The company was her baby and her life. She got up from her pity party as her phone shrieked none-stop.

"Anything yet?"

"Nothing Madam." Her private detective replied.

"Get the work done! I've been suspended for two months!"

"We are getting on it Madam,"

"Well your best is not good enough!" She stopped the call and walked around her bedroom. She was trying to recall anything that could help the investigation. The person in charge of the accounts was Mr. Ajayi, the one she had confronted at the first Board meeting. The cheque in question had Sonia's signature onit as well. But that same time, her cheque book had disappeared and she reported it. The Chief Accounting Officer definitely knows something. It all came rushing back to her mind. Sonia smiled to herself,

"I have a lead."

======

At OWOLAFE INDUSTRIAL, the progress report on the case was presented. Sonia informed them that her cheque book went missing and she reported it to the Chief Security Officer and the Chief Accounting Officer.

"Are you trying to escape from your irresponsibility Mrs. Rogers?" Benjamin was being petty.

Sonia ignored him.

The Board confirmed the report about the missing cheque book and the Superintendent in charge also informed them that the Chief Security Officer confessed that he did not speak earlier because he was afraid his life was in danger. Sonia sighed lightly and knew something was up. Someone was trying to get her out of her position and she did not have to think too far to know who the wicked schemers were.

After the meeting, Sonia went to Michael's gravesite and cried her eyes out. She suspected his mother was on her matter once again, but she had promised herself she would not give up. She wiped her tears and opened her bag. She smiled as she touched the licensed handgun she had acquired. It seemed it was time to put it to use.

"Enough is enough! No more playing games!"