The Boy Who Never Left

Bystander.

One who is present at an event or incident, but does not take part.

One just as evil as an offender.

A changemaker removed from the violence.

The person who can pull the lever and put the trolley on new tracks.

Save a life, but doom another one.

It's the thing my mom hated most about me and something I want no part in. I just want to be left alone.

If it's true that bystanders are evil perpetrators, then I'm as evil as they come.

"Julian Spence went missing sometime yesterday night. We believe his disappearance occurred somewhere in the woods. Which is why you guys are all here."

The static framed words of Mr. Wyler spreads across our school gym as he shouts into the damaged microphone in his chubby hand. His white name tag that denotes him the new principal of Forest High clings onto his gray suit like a badge that accuses him of being fresh meat. I can see the nerves in every crinkle of his clothing as his eyes dart around the gymnasium, and I almost feel for him. This had to be one of the worst first weeks at a job in all of history.

"Now, I wanted to be the one to tell you that since I am the new principal of Forest High. My job is to focus on student well-being..."

I roll my eyes and lean back in my chair. Of course he's making this about him. Ever since he started two months ago he's been doing anything he can to look good to the PTA. Like doing the PTA moms' dirty work and unnecessarily punishing their enemies they loved to call delinquents. My detentions and calls home have skyrocketed. This is why I almost feel for him. He deserves what's coming and man would the PTA eat him alive for this speech.

I sigh, causing the older woman next to me to shoot me a disapproving look. Her gray hair is pulled into a tight bun and she purses pink lips at me. "This is serious stuff. We need to watch out for the kids in this town, they're so vulnerable." She whispers harshly to me and nods her head as if prompting me to agree. Yeah, unlikely. Julian was an idiot jock who probably forgot to leave bread crumbs when he went into the woods. I'm sure he'll show up eventually.

I give the old woman a dead stare before returning my attention to balancing my chair in the exact position between falling and balancing. Leaning back in a chair is an art, and many are not skilled in the field. I stare up at the gym ceiling, counting the balls that had gotten stuck in the rafters.

Boredom sits heavy on my mind and I give up on counting. My legs jump in irritation and I lean back further in my chair.

I don't understand why everyone was making a big fuss over this guy. I doubt he's really missing. He probably just got drunk and fell asleep in the woods. He and his friends were almost like a cult with all the parties they had in those trees, and here I am suffering because he decided to go drinking alone. There are much better things I could be doing...like practicing the art of balancing my chair in the comfort of my room.

Gym floors are not good for--

My chair tips too far backward and I lose my balance. I quickly grab onto the seat in front of me, stopping my fall. My eyes meet the back of a shiny black head, and I almost wish I had let myself kiss the hard ground of the gymnasium.

"Do not touch my chair." Sita says darkly, turning to throw furry at whichever poor unfortunate soul had crossed her path. Unfortunately, it's me. I brace for the onslaught. Sita's eyes, framed in a sparkly silver, narrow to slits as they take me in. "Ew, of course, it's you, Psycho." Her words shoot from her mouth like pointy arrows, unable to miss their targets and her lips curl in disgust.