But Why?

Based on a prompt I saw here on Wattpad by BunBunDraws.

-----------

"Shut up Carlos, you weren't even there!"

The bell of the glass coffee shop door chimed as Evie entered with her two best friends, Jay and Carlos. The smell of coffee beans and sugar immediately wafted to her nose as she looked around the place, ignoring her playfully arguing friends. Things in the campus coffee shop seemed to be quiet today, there weren't too many people around, most tables were free and there wasn't the usual hum of chatter that lingered in the air as people ordered. It was refreshing.

"Well I was only five minutes away, I was CLOSE to being there," Carlos argued back to Jay from before, shoving him in the shoulder. Jay laughed at him and shoved him back.

"Would you two leave each other alone for five seconds? This is a coffee shop on our college campus, not a boxing ring," She told them with a roll of her eyes, as she led them to a table in the corner.

"As you wish, my dear princess," Jay mocked, offering her a very over-exaggerated bow in between two tables.

"Sometimes I wonder why I'm friends with you two dorks," Evie joked, as she and the rest of her trio took a seat at the table. It was right by the floor-to-roof length window, and had a perfect view of the morning rush hour right outside, being shone down upon by bright blue skies and a shimmering sun. Students dashed across the pathways and grass, their backpacks overflowing with books and exam notes as they hurried to get to class in lazy sweaters on time. Yep, this was college.

Usually, she and the boys would look very similar to those students and their mannerisms, but today their classes were scheduled for later in the day, so they finally had some time together for once. They had decided to go out for breakfast together...but being broke college students it wasn't like they could afford a gourmet restaurant. So, the coffee shop on campus was the way to go.

Evie picked up a sticky menu and looked at her options, her eyes skimming over drinks and delicious looking treats.

"Hey Carlos, I dare you to get the spicy breakfast burrito," Jay chuckled from across the table. Evie looked up and watched as he shoved his own menu in Carlos's face, and the smaller boy waved him away and frowned at him.

"No way, hot sauce and jalapeños are overrated," He grumbled.

"A likely story. I'm pretty sure you're just scared of spicy foods," Evie jumped in, having to stop herself from laughing at him.

"You have no say in this, you're Latina! Unfair advantage!" Carlos whined.

"Well I'm not Latina and I love hot stuff. In fact I might get that breakfast burrito myself," Jay bragged.

"Have fun setting your mouths on fire, then. I'm getting something sweet," Carlos claimed.

Evie wondered if she should get something sweet, too. Or was she in the mood for something savoury? She couldn't really tell. Not to mention she didn't really come here that often, so she wasn't sure what was good or not. Her eyes scanned the laminated card in her hands, flickering between waffles and hot chocolates and pancakes and slices of toast. For a cheap little college cafe there sure were a lot of options.

"Guys, what should I get? I can't decide," She wondered to the boys. Just as she was she eyeing a possible plate of French toast and a coffee, Jay suddenly spoke.

"Maybe you should ask her."

Evie finally looked up from her menu to meet his eyes, and discovered that he was pointing his buff arm over her shoulder. He had a knowing smirk on his face, and Evie wondered what he was talking about. She looked over her shoulder in the direction he was pointing, and if she was being really honest...her jaw basically fell open in shock when she saw who he was referencing.