Two

When I pull into my parents' driveway, I throw the vehicle into park and stare up at the sprawling structure

It's a breathtaking view. Glossy white paint with black shutters and four enormous columns anchored beneath an extended second floor balcony, with the waves of Lake Lanier glittering through the trees in the background. It's very Gone With the Wind

But as stunning as their estate is, I don't want to be here. Not because it's a different house from the one I grew up in—although, I'm not sure this one will ever feel like home—but because things weren't supposed to turn out this way. Moving back to Lakeside feels like I just...rolled over and gave up. I've never been a quitter. Now, I don't know what I am.

I'm just grateful Mya's not old enough to judge me. If she had any idea what a mess I've made. How I lost everything...

With a shaky breath, I unbuckle my seatbelt and slide out of the SUV as the earthy-scented lake breeze weaves through my hair.

"Gil, they're here!" The screen door rattles open and my parents step onto the porch, looking tan and fit in their matching tennis gear. Mama flings her shoulder-length hair over her shoulder and gives me a wide grin. "Perfect timing, Ruby. We just came back from the club."

I'm petite like my mom, with the same pale hair and honey-brown eyes. Because we look so much alike, everyone assumes we have a lot in common—and maybe we used to—but since I moved away, we've grown further apart. Even more so over the past fourteen months. At least, I have. I'm not the same person I used to be, and she doesn't seem to get that. My father, on the other hand, has stepped up to the plate. He's been there for me in ways Mama doesn't even know about.

"Hey, baby girl. It's good to see you." Daddy towers over me as he crushes me in a hug, his bald head shining beneath the late afternoon sun.

It's Mama's turn next. A cloud of perfume envelopes me as she kisses my cheek. "How was the drive?"

"Fine." I force a smile and decide against telling them about the flat tire. "Mya slept almost the whole way here. I just hope she sleeps tonight."

Mama's sculpted brows arch higher than I expect. Her Botox must be wearing off. "Looks like you could use some sleep yourself—and a decent meal. It's important to watch your figure, honey, but you're too thin," she says. "How about we make a trip to the makeup counter and find some concealer for under your eyes? Have you tried tea bags or a cold compress? They work wonders!"

I try not to sigh. "No, Mama. I haven't. I've had other things on my mind."

"Well, I think you're beautiful." Daddy's blue eyes crinkle as he kisses the top of my head.

"Of course, she is. And now that she's back in Lakeside, she'll be good as new. We'll put some meat back on her bones and fix her right up. Isn't that right, Ruby?" Mama gives me another perfect grin and then gasps. "Oh—there's my gorgeous grandbaby!"