Seventeen.

I stared at the clenching jaw of Phaèryon as we moved down the hallway in sync. The silence between us was deadly. I haven't even said thank you for being saved. I didn't know what to say, how to even start.

A simple thank you should do it.

"What's the Rivalry?" My mouth deceived my heart and rather, spoke my mind.

"A competition." His statement was vague and blunt. It was clear he wasn't in the talking mood. Somehow after my run in with Radeon, Phaèryon didn't seem as scary so I continued anyway.

"What are you competing for?" I pushed for answers. His jaw ticked again.

"You." His simple answer brought a million butterflies into my stomach.

"I gathered that.. What I meant was, why are you competing for me? What do you get out of it?" I clarified as I spoke softly and laced my fingers together, hoping not to offend him.

"The perceiver tells of a white haired stranger. A woman with skin and eyes like a humuk." He peaked over at me in a pause as I lifted a curious eyebrow.

*Humuk?*

"It is foretold that because of this woman's purity of heart, good fortune will fall upon us, she will bring about an abundance of life and peace with those whom we are at war with." I saw hope and wonderment in his icy eyes as he stopped to look at me.

"You are the woman the perceiver speaks of and you will be the harbinger of peace between our people." His gaze was strong, as he weaved between my eyes, making sure I understood my position.

I did.

I understood that he wanted me to solidify a chance of peace between his people and the humans. But he doesn't understand how humans work, I can't rule them. They won't accept me as their ruler. Im nothing. I'm just a weird looking teenage misfit. Why would they let me speak for them?

"You will become mated to me and I will name you Viviana, Queen of Anok, Harbinger of Peace."  I couldn't think with the sudden weight that sat upon my shoulders. Phaèryon looked so proud, so enthusiastic about this, and while I wanted to share his feelings...

I couldn't.

My people, the humans, they need more than a title to convince them that I would make a good ruler. They need to know I stand for them, they need to know I'm on their side and they'd need me to prove it...

"Phaèryon.." I spoke quietly, not knowing my next words.

"Enough, Viviana." Phaèryon cut me off, continuing once again his fast pace to his quarters. I watched, glued to my spot, unable to move. I felt like I was almost in shock. I felt a panic creeping its way up my spine like a boa constrictor.

"I can't.." I whispered to myself. I swallowed hard as I looked down at the tips of my black combat boots.

"Need I remind you for a third time? Whatever demands are not met by cooperation, will be met by force. Is this not the way of your kind?" I didn't know what to say as I realized he was right. The government got their way, the easy way or the hard way, but they got their way.

"Does your kind not use force to achieve compliance? Why can't you?" I felt so small under his demeaning tone. His body let off a luminescent red color once again as I had nothing to say.

"Viviana!" The sound of his voice was so loud I was sure the entire population onboard the Anaxis knew my name.

"Take me home! I want to leave!" My loudest scream sounded modest compared to his.

I began running down the hallway, not making it far before Phaèryon caught up with me. Grabbing me firmly by the arms he slammed my body onto the wall. His knee rested between my legs on the wall behind me. His hands now gripping the wall on both sides of me.

"Please." I begged.

"Please just, let me go back.. You don't need me.." I felt defeated. I knew I wasn't going to get what I asked for. I knew all hope I had would be destroyed with his answer.

"I wanted to take you out today, wherever you wanted to go." His honest eyes searched mine as they hovered just inches from my own.

"Unfortunately, that will have to be postponed." One thumb brushed against my cheek as his face remained blank. His body pulled away from mine.

"You didn't..." I scoffed as I felt the familiar tingling in my chin. I snapped my eyes up to his. I glared at him until my legs gave out, phaèryon catching me carefully.

"I don't want to force you Viviana... but I'll not hesitate if you make me." He held me close to his body, one arm under my knees and the other around my back.

I felt a certain excitement about the fact that Phaèryon touched me like it wasn't forbidden. He touched me like he was meant to. Like I was his already.

Authors Note: What do you think about our characters so far?

Do they need more description?

How am I doing as far as meeting my readers wants/needs?

What can I improve on?

Please comment, I love criticism that helps me grow as a writer!