Chapter 4

Exiting my car, I watched the other high schoolers rush into the large house. I was glad my outfit wasn't the most revealing. I hid my keys behind the back tire and after adjusting my skirt, I walked into the house. Heads turned as I opened the front door and most didn't look away. My cheeks heated at the continued gawking, and I regretted not picking the Stevie Nicks costume or creating a new one. But I was here, so might as well embrace it.

Maneuvering past the dancing, drunk teenagers to get further into the house, I spotted Eddie in the living room. All he wore was a red button up and a pair of devil horns. Fitting. I almost wished he had a tail. The tightness in my chest loosened at seeing him. Eddie's eyes flickered to me briefly as he aimlessly scanned the room then back with a head snap. His torso pushed off the wall, straightening. His mouth fell open, making me blush as he didn't look away. He walked away from the boy he'd been talking to without a word. Eddie's eyes roamed over my body, pushing through the crowd without thought. Eddie finally got to where I was standing at the door frame, eyes finally resting on mine. Eddie shut his mouth with a pushed out lower lip, nodding.

"Wow Jess, you look," he paused, shaking his head and looking me over, "incredible."

I twisted my hands together awkwardly, my face still heated, "thanks. I made it in school a couple years ago. Seems it still fits."

Eddie raised his hand, snapping at the nude stockings I'd disassembled, to make the costume less scandalous.

"Seattle?" he asked. After I nodded my head, Eddie huffed dramatically, "God bless Seattle."

I couldn't stop the giggle bubbling from my chest at Eddie's appraisal.

"Do you want to get a drink?" he asked, eyes flickering to the side. Eddie stepped closer, a protective air forming around him.

I followed his gaze. A few teenage boys standing close to us were still gawking. It didn't make me feel fuzzy like Eddie's staring had. Turning back at Eddie, he held out his hand with a smirk across his face. The heat from my face flooded through my body.

"I'm driving, but I guess I'll have one."

I placed my hand in Eddie's and with a tight grip, he tugged me behind his back to lead me into the house more. Pushing through whatever room had become a dancing space, I made eye contact with Nancy. She froze, her jaw dropped at my outfit, smacking Steve on the arm. He pulled his black sunglasses down his nose, taking in my costume too. Before I could react, we were in the kitchen. Eddie released my hand as it was easier not to lose each other in here. A few of the girls complimented me. I wondered if it was snarky at first until I realized they were being genuine. I guess their enjoyment of Billy's verbal assault from the other day slipped their drunken minds.

"Beer?" Eddie asked, opening the fridge. I nodded when he looked back for an answer. Nancy stumbled into the kitchen, gripping the wall and squeaked my name. Her drink sloshed out of the plastic red cup slightly as she dug her fingertips into my forearm for stability.

"Oh my god, you look amazing! Is this one of the costumes you made in that program you were in?"

I glanced at Steve walking in behind her. He'd removed his sunglasses, and his eyes roaming over my body. Unlike the leering of his peers, Steve's gaze surprisingly didn't make me feel gross. Robin had told me of the boy's rumoured history with women. When his eyes met mine, they widened. He didn't expect me to catch him. With pink cheeks I didn't expect from King Steve, he smiled, giving me a short awkward wave, before looking away.

"Cool outfit," Steve muttered, eyes on the wall, "school appropriate."

Steve's off-hand comment made Nancy and I laugh. He was significantly more sober than his girlfriend. A beer appeared in front of my face. Looking behind me, Steve's gaze became annoyed. I turned to Eddie, smiling in thanks. He winked, not moving from my shoulder. I took a long drink. My nose scrunched as the drink ran down my throat. I hadn't drank alcohol in a while. I didn't have time nor money to do so. It didn't take long before I felt bubbles in my head.