Chapter 13

Maria could barely contain her enthusiasm when Cassius told her that Safania wanted help sleeping. Fortunately, she managed to keep her excitement largely under wraps when she went into Cassius and Safania's bedroom that night. If it wasn't for the massive grin on her face, Cassius would have called the teenager's work highly professional.

Cassius watched as Maria's eyes glowed while she held Safania's hand. His wife's enchanting eyes fluttered shut and her breathing became deep and even, making Cassius sigh in relief. Maybe everything would improve now that she was able to sleep again.

"She looks so peaceful," he commented, as Maria broke the connection and stepped away from Safania.

"She is peaceful. Now, at least," Maria answered, the smile she had been trying to hide earlier now gone entirely. "Your majesty, I know you both told me to not go poking around in her head and to just put her to sleep...but it doesn't work like that. There's a lot of pain in there. A lot of darkness."

"I know," Cassius assured Maria. "It's not that easy Maria. We have to do this one step at a time. Safania is finally accepting help sleeping, so hopefully this will put the healing process in motion. She'll deal with it when she's ready."

Maria nodded, though she looked less than satisfied. But she departed without another word.

Cassius, on the other hand, crawled into bed next to his wife, wrapping her arm around her. He smiled as he felt his arm raise and lower with each breath she took. She was asleep. And he could count on that being true for the next several hours - no tossing and turning, no nightmares.

The king hadn't realized how much Safania's issues had impacted his own sleep until he found his eyes closing the minute his head hit the pillow.

***

Safania and Cassius entered the council meeting the next day side by side - each extremely well-rested. The King's generals had already gathered around the long table in the council meeting room, and the king and queen separated to each sit at one of the table's heads.

"Queen Safania," General Caro remarked, surprised, as the queen took her seat. "We weren't expecting you."

"A pleasant surprise, I trust," Safania replied lightly.

"Your majesty," General Tanus said to Cassius, "there has never been a woman on the council. This is highly unusual. You should have discussed with us the possibility of adding a woman."

A knock came on the council meeting room door. "Don't worry advisors," Cassius said as he walked to the door. "I'm not adding a woman to the council."

Some of the men visibly relaxed at Cassius's pronouncement. That is, until he opened the door, revealing Valery, Callista, Fazia, Of'ket, Avouelle, and Riko.

"I'm adding several," Cassius finished.

The men erupted in protest, making a variety of arguments as to why this was a poor idea.

"Hey!" Valery exclaimed, causing the men to fall silent and turn to look at her. "We'd be happy to fight you for your spots, if that would make this easier," she offered, her eyes glowing threateningly.

"No, no," General Nicolaus said quickly. "There's no need to fight. There's room for all of us, right men?"

Some half-hearted agreeing grumbles followed as the other advisors reluctantly welcomed the women.

"Good," Cassius said cheerfully. "Now that that's settled, let's discuss our actual business. Irado and Tororia continue to build up Irado's army. Abree and Pitka are our allies. Shyra, predictably, will remain neutral. Which leaves Mythnese, Ekyan, and the Southern Tribes. Orphasius did a fair amount of damage to our relationship with the Southern Tribes. Mythnese and Ekyan we've had virtually no contact with. Any thoughts of how we should proceed?"