𝐢𝐢. don't call me up

CHAPTER TWO
spooky island, scene two
"don't call me up"

   THE MYSTERY INC GANG had finally finished their last mystery for the night, and all any of them wanted to do was go back to their respective homes and get some much needed rest

Smithers was arrested, and taken into custody until his trial. Pamela had finally left Fred alone, and eventually went home. The fans spent some more time with the gang, getting autographs and photos until they left eventually, too.

The gang exited the factory, all heading towards the mystery machine in silence, until Velma spoke up annoyed, "Fred, I can't believe you took credit for my plan again."

Abby looked at her in astonishment, "Velma, it was our plan, remember?" Velma shrugged, while Fred avoided eye contact with them. "Some plan. That ghost pawed me for an hour and a half." Daphne huffed out as they all stopped in front of the van.

"Daph, It's not our fault you always get kidnapped." Fred pointed out. Daphne snapped her head towards him, offended and upset, "I don't always get kidnapped. Can't believe you'd say that to me."

Abby looked at her friend with raised eyebrows, "Uh, yeah, you kinda do. I can't remember one mystery we've solved where you didn't get taken by something." Fred and Velma both immediately nodded in agreement.

Daphne looked at her angrily, "How can you say that? It's not true." She stomped her foot. Velma rolled her eyes, scoffing, "Oh, please. You come with your own ransom note."

Abby let out a small chuckle, making Daphne glare at her, "I don't know why you're laughing. Last time I checked, you always manage to screw up your part of mystery. Just trip the ghost, Abby. It's that simple."

Abby felt herself frown, looking at her with sad eyes, "I don't screw anything up." Daphne laughed humourlessly, placing her hands on her hips, "Oh please, at least the others can do something right. But you, you just sit there and wait to try and be a hero. You'll never be a hero."

She felt her eyes gloss over as Daphne stared at her. She had a point. Abby wasn't a hero, and somehow she did manage to never get her part of the plan right. Maybe being a detective wasn't for her.

"Says you, Daphne." Velma spoke up, breaking the silence. Daphne squinted her eyes at her, moving her arm forward before snatching her glasses of her face. "My glasses!" Velma yelped.

Daphne smirked, "Who's helpless now?" She teased, walking backwards as she waved the glasses around. Velma crawled along the floor, feeling for her. Her hands touched a pair of shoes, and she stood up.

"I'm going to kill you, Daphne!" She wrapped her hands around who she thought was Daphne, but was actually Fred. She began choking him, making him widen his eyes as he pried her hands off of him, "Hey! Hey! Watch the ascot!"

He rubbed his neck, readjusting his ascot while Daphne smirked proudly. Shaggy, who was stood in front of the van with Scooby, finally decided to speak up, "You guys, look, I know I'm just the dude that carries the bags..."

Velma snatched her glasses from Daphne, placing them back on. Abby stood in between her and Fred, Daphne on the other side of Velma as they all looked at Shaggy with question.

"...but we all play an important part in this group. I mean, we're just like a big, delicious banana split." Shaggy continued, smiling happily. "Fred, you're the big banana." He explained, Fred nodded approvingly.

Shaggy looked to Abby next, "Abby, you're the mild hot sauce slathered on top of the banana." Abby furrowed her eyebrows slightly, her arms crossed. "Daphne, you're the pastrami and bubblegum-flavored ice cream." Shaggy continued.

"And Velma...you're the sweet-and-sour mustard sauce that goes on top." Scooby hummed in agreement, licking his lips. Shaggy smiled at him, "That sounds pretty good, doesn't it?"

Abby looked between them all, her eyes glossy as she gave Shaggy a small smile, "You know what, Shaggy? You've really put it in perspective for me." Shaggy looked at her with a grin, "Thanks."

"I quit." Abby's lips trembled as she spoke those two words. Shaggy's smile instantly dropped, "No." Fred whipped his head to look down at her, a frown evident on his face in sadness and shock.

"No way. You can't quit. I was gonna quit in, like, two seconds. Now everyone will think I copied off the smart girl." Daphne huffed, stomping her foot in annoyance.

Abby glared at her, shaking her head with a scoff, "Of course you were." Velma looked at them, shaking her head, "Abby's right. I quit, too." Shaggy felt himself grow smaller and smaller.

"Now, wait a minute, wait a minute. Maybe I quit." Fred spoke up, Abby looked up at him with sadness in her eyes. He looked down at her hesitantly, "I do. Yeah, I quit." He stormed off, not looking back.

Velma avoided eye contact with them all, shaking her head, "I'm out of here." She shoved past Daphne, who held an annoyed look in her eyes as she stormed off too, "Good riddance."

Abby looked at Shaggy and Scooby, both of them looking at her with pleading eyes. She gave them a small smile, "I love you guys but, I just can't do this anymore. I'm sorry." She then proceeded to walk off.

"Don't...No. Don't go. Come on, you guys, don't do this. Please don't go." Shaggy's voice trailed off as he realised it was no use. The Mystery Inc gang was officially over.

Abby hurriedly rushed to her car, going past Fred. She caught his eyes as he looked at her sadly. She looked away and hurriedly got into her car, driving away as quickly as she could.

Fred stood next to his car, watching as her car went further away until he could no longer see the blue anymore. He frowned, bowing his head before hopping into his own car.