*6*

Violet was hard-pressed not to chew all her fingernails off on the way to her parent's house. Owen had the radio on and was softly whistling, giving her quiet time and allowing her to work through her nerves. Glancing at him out of the side of her eye, she smiled. He was such a thoughtful, handsome man, and she was so blessed to call him hers.

She just wished her ma would understand, it wasn't about their age, it was about how well they completed each other. Sure, they may have just met but their conversations had already shown her how much they had in common.

"Do I take a right here, or a left, Violet?" Owen asked as he came to a stop at the stop sign.

"Left. It's the third house on the right," Violet answered. Two minutes later, Owen pulled into her parent's driveway and shut the engine off. Taking a deep breath, she opened her door. "Brace yourself, I see her looking out the window, and Dad is already gone. He usually calms her, at least a little bit."

"Don't you worry about me," Owen said. "I've been in law enforcement long enough to know how to stay in control."

Violet took him at his word and headed for the front door. It opened before she could knock and there stood her brother.

"Well, look what the cat drug in," Greg said with a grin. "I thought it might be a few days before the two of you came up for air."

Violet blinked at her brother, not quite knowing what to say. Behind her, Owen chuckled and said, "We wouldn't have, but Violet needs her things and I'm a man on call, even if it is my day off."

"Oh, yes," Greg murmured, his eyes moving to gaze at Owen, "our illustrious new sheriff in the flesh." Holding out his hand, he and Owen shook. "You are not the old codger I was expecting from what I'd heard."

"Most people expected me to be in my sixties. That's what happens when you're told a 'seasoned veteran' is coming to be your boss," Owen stated.

Greg chuckled. "Ah, I see."

"Yeah, I heard all about it from my deputies when I first walked in the door."

Greg nodded. "Yep, that's what I expected too. I also expected you to be a wolf, or maybe a bear."

Violet had heard enough and finally spoke, saying, "You aren't mad about me and Owen being mates?"

Greg returned his gaze to her, one eyebrow raised. "Mad? Why would I be mad about you finding your soulmate?"

"Because he's older than me, but quite a bit," she answered.

Greg shrugged. "So what? As shifters, we age differently anyway, so I don't see a problem." He huffed and glanced behind him for a moment. "I know Ma has issues with it, but I don't. The truth is, I think I've found my mate too, a couple of towns over."

"O-oh, that's why you've been randomly disappearing," Violet whispered.

Greg nodded. "Yeah, it is. The thing is, I'm a lot older than her, so I can't declare myself yet because she's only fourteen."

Violet's jaw dropped. "B-but that would make you..."

"Yeah, eleven years older," Greg huffed. "I met her when I went on a plumbing job, at her house, a few months ago. I knew the moment her dad opened the door my mate was inside the house. When I realized just how young she was I almost cried."

"Oh, Greg," Violet whispered as she hugged her big brother.

"I've seen her around a few times since and talked to her," Greg said. "She's so sweet and cheerful. She's also very mature for her age and makes me feel like I need to grow up."