01

Namjoon sits in his office chair, loosens his gray tie, and takes the breath he's been holding in for the past year - or years, if he's being honest.

Between the company losing millions and him being thrown into a director position in a field he never even expected he'd be in, saying it's been a tough couple of months is an understatement.

Surely, no one would've bet that the philosophy major who didn't have any business background nor experience before coming in would be the one tapped to lead the strategy department, but as their CEO told him, there's no other person whose brain I trust more than yours.

Clearly that had everything to do with Namjoon's genius IQ level, but he also knew he was the wild card - none of the tenured directors wanted the challenge nor the responsibility of getting the company back on track, and he would either be one of the heroes or the only scapegoat if things didn't work out.

The universe seemed to favor Namjoon, though, as the year end report showed that clearly, all his late-nights and three dozen broken eyeglasses were worth it. The company earned more than expected, and while Seokjin turned on his charms to get enough sales in, everyone knew that Namjoon had his hands on every department, stirring the ship.

"Congrats, big guy," Seokjin enters his room without knocking and leans by the door.

"Congrats as well, big guy," Namjoon smiles back at his friend, the one he'd made in college through you, and the one who'd sold him enough to the big bosses to take a chance on the man who wanted a career change.

That was 5 years ago, and it's no secret that Namjoon owes his friend so much, something Seokjin doesn't fail to remind him of, but right now, there's too much respect from the older man to take all the credit.

"We wouldn't have done it without you, you know?" He softly smiles, eyes glimmering under the office lights. "It was a bloodbath but we knew where we were going and what we had to do because of you."

"Nah, you guys knew what you were doing," Namjoon chuckles. "You just needed fresh eyes, I guess. You know this isn't my thing; it's just something I had to learn quickly otherwise I'd crash. We all would."

"You still gave your best. You could be out of this company and still thrive. I wouldn't know what I'd be outside of all this," Seokjin turns serious.

"I had my orders," Namjoon shrugs, knowing that despite the risks, he took on the role because he just could not do it. "You know I had to follow. I always would."

"Well, sometimes it's the good followers who make the best leaders," his friend says. "Keep it up, Joon."

Seokjin's about to leave when Hoseok bursts through the door with an arm around his shoulder and greets Namjoon.

"Good job out there," he smiles. "I hope you make time to celebrate this time."

"Sure," Namjoon straightens his posture. "Drinks tonight? My treat."

"Tempting, but I've got someone back home waiting for me," Seokjin smiles.

"So do I," Hoseok responds. "Got a wife and a pup waiting. Don't you?" He asks the younger man.

"Uh, yeah," Namjoon answers, almost uncertain. Not that he doesn't have a wife, but he's not exactly sure if you are indeed home. He doesn't recall if he asked. "I'll celebrate with her, definitely."

"Alright, I'll go then," Hoseok waves then leaves, being followed by Seokjin.

Both men shout their congratulations again, and Namjoon is left on his own in the office, not like it's out of the ordinary.