Chapter 2

She had in fact spent all night in the box, she didn't really sleep tho, she kept hearing weird, loud noises coming from outside and wondered how any one really slept well with all of that going on. Suddenly the box started to shake and she could hear a loud, low rumble come from outside. She tightly closed her eyes trying to figure out what could cause something like that, an earthquake maybe? Before she knew it it was over and everything was quiet again.

She heard as the others got up and began their day, no one came to talk to her for a while. She wondered if maybe they had forgotten her. She wasn't sure if she was upset by that. Maybe she could just sit here and rot away, never have to worry about what those weird sounds were, never have to worry about meeting all the boys, she was sure she wouldn't be able to remember all of their names anyway. She took a deep breath. She knew they hadn't forgotten her, she knew eventually someone would come and try to convince her to leave the safety of the box yet again. That's all they had wanted the day before today couldn't be much different. She heard as a few boys walked by having a conversation, she strained to hear what they were talking about.

"Well maybe the box doesn't go back down with someone in it."

"Obviously, shuck face, I mean after what Zac tried.... I'm just saying we could've guessed the box wouldn't go down."

That didn't sound promising, now she definitely didn't want to go out there. Who is Zac? What had he tried? Do I even want to know? She asked herself. She decided it would be better if she stopped thinking about it. As if on queue her stomach growled extremely loudly. She realized she had no clue when she had eaten last. She hoped she had had something before getting shoved in a box to boys r us, but she honestly had no clue. She was starting to wonder if anyone was gonna talk to her today, everyone had been up for awhile and no one even peaked in the box as they went by. She felt lonely, but oddly at peace with it, like it was a feeling the person with all her memories had gotten to know quite well. She didn't want to be that person, the one who was always alone. She seemed to just gravitate towards being alone, she hadn't even had a second thought about what she had said to the boys who had come to see how she was doing and now? Now no one came to see, no one seemed to care. She didn't blame them, she probably wouldn't go to see her either. Alby had been right, she didn't give them a reason to like her, now they probably didn't. She wondered if she could go back and do it over if she would do something different, but she didn't know what she would change and ultimately decided she wouldn't. Maybe she was just meant to be alone, there was nothing wrong with that, people are alone all the time.

"Hey, uhm, are you uh, hungry?" a voice asked her shyly.

"Yeah, actually I am. Got any food up there?"

"Yeah I was uh, cleaning up after making breakfast for the others and figured no one brought you any."

"Well you figured right, no one has even talked to me today, much less brought me anything."

"Typical, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get the food down there to you without making a mess though, not like we have sealing containers up here."

"I guess I should come out then, or I'll starve down here, huh?"

"Would make it easier. Here I'll go grab the rope and be right back."

And with that he walked off, he was the nicest of the boys so far and not just because he offered her food, or talked to her today. He was just genuinely nice, it was a good change of pace from the others. He wasn't gone long before he was back and dropped down the rope.

"So, uh grab on and I'll pull you up." he let her know.

She grabbed the rope and looped her leg around so she wouldn't have to rely solely on her grip strength. And just like that she was out of the box for the first, and hopefully last, time.

She looked around with amazement, she was standing in a large open field, there were a few buildings, looked like a garden, and a little farther out was a gathering of trees. She wasn't sure if it was big enough to be a forest though. The biggest surprise to her though wasn't the open space, or the buildings that had been hobbled together, enclosing the large area were ginormous walls that were as tall as skyscrapers.

"Welcome to the Glade greenie, you can call me Frypan." The boy smiled.

"Why do they call you Frypan?"

"Because I run the kitchen and it's better than my real name."

"Can't argue with that logic"

"Pretty much." He shrugged.

"What is this place?"

"None of us are really sure, we just know one day we woke up in that box," he pointed, "without any memories, unsure of how we got there and ended up here."

"Just like me."

"Well if it makes you feel any better you're our first girl here in the Glade."

"So it really is just me and a bunch of boys."

"Don't worry Alby has already had a number of talks with the Gladers, they aren't going to bother you and if they do Alby will have it handled."

"I wasn't worried about being bothered." She wasn't lying, she hadn't even thought about the potential risk of being the only girl in a place with at least a dozen boys. She figured they would all have too much to worry about for most of those types of things. She saw this place, that doesn't come without hard work and a good amount of discipline, although she had to admit, knowing that Alby had talked to them had made her feel a little more comfortable with her current predicament.

"Well enough small talk huh, let's get you some food shall we?" he comforted

"Those are the best words to come out of your mouth yet, Fry." She smiled, a good genuine smile, he returned one just as nice.