Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Not far from where Rae was, a man stood gasping and croaking for air. His eyes lolled to the back of his head, blood trailing along his tongue and out of his mouth, until all that could be seen in his half-closed lids were two slimy whites streaked with red veins. He was collapsing onto himself, and with one final wheeze of a stutter, dead. 

Then...

A hiss punctured through the air, soft and slow, like the tip of a knife just barely grazing over a naked skin. It quickly grew louder, with alarming intensity, the sound too wretched; the echo too dry. It flailed in verses of aches, deceiving the scream of a soul so tortured, it could only come out as nothing more than a screeching whisper. It throttled higher and broke and shook, withering with each rising octave, cutting to a sudden halt that made even the air hold its breath. 

Silence. Complete and utter silence.  

After a minute or two, the same slow hiss came back into place, followed by the sounds of leaves rustling and soon, twigs snapping. And then silence once again. But this silence ticked on and on, until it became very clear that the dead man was left behind. 

He had a face splattered with red, and a neck wound the color of death. And somewhere out there, somebody knew exactly where to find him.