Classic fanfic trope

Lance stood in Keith's room, he missed the fire truck red, with the grey paint it reminded him too much of his dorm. He still had the Hippo plush. Made Lance wonder what else he'd kept. But he hadn't been in this room in years, nor had he been Keith's friend in years, so it was off limits. The room itself was, for lack of a better term, fucking disgusting. There was papers and garbage strewn across the floor, dirty clothing littered everywhere, the curtains vaguely burned, cigarette holes in the mattress. He hoped Keith didn't smoke.

"HEY!" Called a voice from behind as the door slammed open "DON'T ROOT THROUGH MY STUFF!" Yelled Keith. "I wasn't I wasn't! I was just cleaning your gross ass room" Lance retorted. Expecting another freak out Lance braced himself, but the yelling never came. Keith just flopped himself down onto his bed "Oh, do whatever you want just don't go through my stuff.". "No worries wouldn't dream of it. I kinda gotta sleep on the floor and your room is gross so." "Jesus I'm sorry? It's just been a while." He threw a fluffy blanket around himself and curled into a ball, which surprised Lance because it was still incredibly hot outside.

The two of them sat in silence for a while, Lance picking up things off the floor tossing them in the trash occasionally asking Keith where to put something that had fallen. Placing folded sheets on the end of Keith's bed he noticed that Keith's lip was cracked and surrounded by dried blood. He had a bruised cheek, looked like he'd been in a fight. Lance pondered for a second if he dared ask about what happened.

"So-uh? What happened?" He asked finally, "What." Keith barked back "Your lip looks like it was bleeding" Lance said non-chalantly as he started to sweep "Cause it was, my step dad punched me" Keith said just as casually "I mean he usually doesn't punch anyone, this is the first time I've ever seen him throw a punch at a fellow blade. Honestly I deserved it anyway." "Dude, thats messed up" Lance answered with concern, why would anyone be okay with being punched by a family member. The silence returned.

The room was a lot cleaner now. Lance could see the small amounts of race car red still peaking out from under the grey, just little bit of the Keith he once knew.

There was a knock Keith's bedroom door, not a normal knock though, a funky dad knock. "You don't have to knock Adam, you can just come in." Keith mumbled. "Yeah, I could" Adam retorted "But I respect the privacy of others" He opened the door "Hey Lance I brought you one of those fold out bed things, what's it called? RIGHT YEAH a cot!" Lance gentility placed broom to the side "Thanks Adam, I was dreading sleeping on the floor. Do you need any help setting it up?" "That would be awesome, thanks Lance." Adam said happily handing the collapsed cot over to Lance. "Call me if you need any help" "I will" Adam turned to Keith, who was still curled up on his bed looking at his phone, "Do you want the do-" "Shut" Keith interrupted. Adam left silently shutting the door behind him.

Lance looked over to Keith. Why was he being such a dick? Oh if Mama found out Lance were acting like this, oh he would not be alive anymore.

Lance effortlessly got the cot ready, just like he'd done millions of times before, he was hoping that this would be a sleepover just like when they were kids. But by the way things were shaping up? Those dreams were false. Lance lay down on the cot and stared up at the familiar ceiling, now devoid of all personality, except for titty lamp. Titty lamp was apart of the house forever.

"Kinda reminds me of when we were kids" Lance chuckled trying to disparate the silence. "Sure." Keith mumbled. "Like remember the time when Hunk-" Lance started "-ate the crayon because he thought it was butter. Yeah, yeah." Keith interrupted flatly. Lance felt hurt by this, he was only trying to be nice, this wasn't going to be stood for any longer.

"What is with you? All you've been today is blunt, snippy, and rude."

This was met with silence.

"Me, Hunk, and Pidge where super excited to see you. You know that?"

Silence again.

"We were so excited to see our buddy Keith, catch up, have lunch, maybe watch some movies? Play some video games? But Jesus Christ man. You've been a dick."

Keith finally added something

"Y'know what? I wasn't excited for you guys to be here. I never wanted you to come. You've all gotten so close, leaving "your buddy Keith" in the dust. You don't care about me don't lie. I just want you guys to leave! So my life can go back to normal!"

"And what? Go out with the blades? Get in another fight? Go drink alone, I saw the beer cans. In case you haven't noticed or remember, you self pitying lone wolf peice of shit, you were the one who ditched us."

"I LEFT YOU??? WHEN MY DAD DIED NONE OF YOU CAME TO VIST ME! NONE OF YOU! WHEN I STOPPED SHOWING UP TO CADETS NONE OF YOU CALLED TO SEE IF I WAS ALRIGHT, NEWS FLASH I WASNT! MY BROTHER HAD BEEN INJURED IN A MILITARY ACCIDENT AND MY MOTHER WAS IN PRISON, I WAS THE ONLY PERSON TAKING CARE OF MYSELF AND I WAS TWELVE!. YOU JUST CUT ME OUT OF YOUR LIVES. I WANTED TO SPEND TIME WITH YOU GUYS, I REALLY DID, BUT YOU WERE ALL SO CLOSE WHERE WOULD I EVEN START??." He started crying "SO DON'T THINK FOR A SECOND THAT I DIDN'T WANT TO SPEND TIME WITH YOU BECAUSE YOU'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND TO THE LENTHS I FUCKING DID!" He stood up and left the room, slamming the door on his way out.

All Lance could do was slump down to the floor and start sobbing.

Keith was right.

He and his friends had turned their backs on their friend when they needed him most.