"Dumb mutt."

My exhausted brain just wanted to scribble up a one shot. A stupid one shot from my personal headcanons. Ever since I started reading the numerous cookie run comic series I started having HCs that went with their writing. So for once I decided to make it public on my writing account.

Off the bat, I'll bet people are just gonna ask, "why." Honestly, simple answer. The comics gave Gumball this behavior in two different series. So ever since, I've just headcanoned it myself for a couple reasons. Mainly cuz I find it funny, cute, and oddly fitting with his turbulent personality.

If people want the proof, I can give my discord- I legit have the pictures of the comics to prove it-

ANYWAY- onward with the story!

~

Cherry had known him for as long as she could remember. Not being the wackiest Cookie she had ever met, but certainly one of the most annoying. Now most would say he stood out due to his opinions. The mindset of artistry he spread at every nook and cranny. Splashing colors throughout any environment he prospered in.

Or perhaps it was his choice of attire. Bright shades of color and saturation as far as the candied eye could see. Always vandalized with sticky splattered stains of paint. Residue gum usually sticking side with the neon splotches.

Most would state those were the oddest parts to them.

But alas Cherry knew better.

She knew him better, anyway. Having a more wild laced side besides his creative views.

She hadn't expected it when her CakeHound buddy had been acting strange. The time ticked for what felt like hours as she attempted to solve her companion's crisis. Just as she was about to quit, he arrived and questioned why she hadn't asked the poor hound on its issue. Mockery. Plain mockery it felt like.

"Well if it's really THAT easy to talk to a CakeHound, be my GUEST." She huffed. Feeling a strong urge to blow up his house again when he wasn't present. One bark and a nod from his head was all she took notice of.

"They said they need to get back to Red Velvet Cookie. But don't worry cuz they'll be back tomorrow."

Another nod from the hound, confirming the info he just shared. Cherry was absolutely stunned. Jaw nearly dropped to the floor. And this only confused the friend currently eyeing her appalled expression.

"What?"

"WHAT TH- YOU CAN UNDERSTAND AND TALK TO BAKED GOODS BESIDES COOKIES?!" 

He rose a brow.

"You can't?"

Ever since that event, he had been a biological mystery to her. A Cookie connected to beasts. Yet having no heritage, ingredients or appearance to match said ability. It fascinated her ever since, lacing her mind with annoyed curiosity to stick around him.

It brought on questions, which came with even more confusing answers. She knew some Cookies could scent track. Mainly due to Werewolf doing so a little while back to search for her. Though the logic behind it aligned. Gumball's not so much. His ability didn't align at all. She lit a bomb off from afar, then asked the question. It took some pestering, but eventually she got an answer.

"Fineee whatever, judging on the smoke your bomb will designate in thirty five seconds. Its also uhh, two miles away near the entrance of RollCake Woods. Now, will you let me go back to art?"

After that she tried scent tracking.

"Cher, why was your bomb powder so far away from- Nevermind just- Here. Try not to lose it again cuz next time I won't help ya find it."

How was this possible? A mistaken recipe in the dough? Forgotten ingredients? The ultimate wacky brain? Or perhaps something new entirely Cherry just couldn't name off her head right now.

It was stupid. But she found it even stupider how she was starting to get amused by the antics as they continued. Even psychically he was a mystery by these behaviors. Having the boy compare to canine speeds with iron jaws to partner his agility. She'd assume it was the gum's influence. Chewing gum frequently, perhaps that was the reason for such strong jaw muscles. But alas, she was proven wrong again. When Devil Cookie spouted a bet while the kids were chopping wood on a boring work day.

"Bet none of you crumbly stales could match my log throw!"

A grave was dug. Little demon didn't stand much of a chance. Both Cookies they were betting against had more muscle than they let on. Especially Gumball Cookie, who threw the rolled wood out of sight with nothing but his bare teeth.

"Now, what were you betting exactly?"

Once more she was appalled. It couldn't be just the gum.

Though the more she asked and tended to these questions with him, the more tolerant she became to certain instances. Everyday it just became less of a shock. From the loud yet protective growls when in battle, to the biting impulses when he felt excited. He seemed to enjoy doing that to her cape the most, which always got under her dough. It wouldn't surprise her if he did it to annoy her. She had always wanted answers. Answers to the wacky canine chaos the vandalist behaved. After all, It was the reason she stuck around him at all at first.

Yet now, it had changed. Over the months, the realization began that answers truly aren't what she needed. What she needed was the warmth snuggled against her dough. Which explained enough without questions needing spouted or thought on at all. She glanced down at him. Eyeing the colorful chew toy hanging out of his mouth they played with earlier. Before the wild Cookie was snoring with his head on her lap, drooling on her skirt in his resting state of mind.

"Hmm. Maybe I don't need answers to this stupid stuff anyway. Maybe I just need..."

She paused and gently rose a hand, having his helmet removed. Then softly ruffled his fluffy pink hair, enjoying the fluffiness. His foot kicked, followed with a whine and ending with a snore. She snorted with a warm smile.

"Dumb mutt." 

Hey you made it to the end! Awesome! I mainly posted this to see if anyone would either like it, or if it was any good. My friends thought it was cute so that's what gave me the confidence to post.

I may do a follow up to it I'm not too sure, I'm busy as hell this month.

Anyway, thanks for reading my story if you made it this far! Comments, criticism, and faves are appreciated! 💕