When The Rain Sang...

It had always been that way for as long as Mirin could remember.

"Never go out when it rains." They had said countless times over and over. It wasn't that it off-put her in particularity, it was just the curiosity that stemmed from the movies where two star-crossed lovers met under the rain and had their romantic moments.

She blamed the entertainment industry for romanticizing something that instilled horror in the hearts of people in real life. But it didn't matter anymore, she was used to rain, she had adjusted herself to the boring monotonous life of grey and thunder, the pitter patter sound resonating at different frequencies was like a semi composed piece of music that she could never be sure of the meaning behind.

Mirin spent her days during the drizzle season mostly cooped up inside her comforting room that braced her with open arms regardless of her imperfections, no judgement involved. She would bring books of crafts and cooking, making trinkets from junk and a world of skills that she would probably never use until the day she dies. Last week she managed to learn braille which she had absolutely no need of, but learning was always an option that kept her time moving in the otherwise stagnant life of that household.

Today she had bought a book on morse code. What was the need you might ask? None to be frank, none at all. Yet it was the thrill of knowing things people normally wouldn't, unless they absolutely had to. It gave her a green card of bragging in front of people whom she could care less about but still had to go around with.

Mirin read about the history and origin of the code, and the story of Samuel F.B. Morse. She found it highly debatable that a code with just dots and dashes made alphabets and words.

But maybe it was also the reason it was a code to say the least, she spent hours trying to practice the dots and dashes that came out in a non rhythmic sound, which she referred to as noise comparatively worse than the rain singing a wordless song in different frequencies. The time went by as the arms of the clock jogged along in a circular track reaching small check points from time to time to remind people that it was okay to take breaks unless one had OCD. Mirin was pretty tired and distraught by how her training had went all day. She had felt like a fool trying to bang a pencil on the table, trying to make sense of the noise that are alphabets. She wondered if people would have doubted Morse's sanity when he played around making the code in such an untuned piece of melody. Alas she gave up as she huffed and puffed rolling all over her soft matress. Slowly drifting into the land of her own reverie.

The next morning bought about an incandescent dance of the cloudburst knocking on her window for sleeping in while they performed.

She got out of her bed and after a series of morning rituals she had to perform judiciously, she continued on with trying to make full sentences of that code she found so contentious. After a series of trial and error, she tried to play the lyrics of 1D's song "Night Changes" which in no way or form sounded like it was intended to when sung in morse code. Frustration took over as she threw the pencil she had partnered up with mercilessly across the room. She layed her head down on the desk as she heard the rain reverberate through the windows and walls of her room, it was soothing yet restless. Her hand slapping away on the wooden desk's body to match it's rhythm and slowly noticing a pattern. At first she enjoyed performing with her old nemesis turned ally, until it started to dawn on her.

The pattern reminded her of a certain code she had given up on minutes ago. Maybe it was just paranoia, maybe it was just the boredom seeping it's way.

But something felt off to Mirin. After a long debate between her internal consciences and a dialogue of the heart over mind, she decided to pick up the pencil and trace the tune again. It wouldn't hurt to try but it would gnaw the insides of her to not check. She sat back down and noted the dashes and dots in the sound and then bought out the book for the sake of deciphering. But hey! In her defense she had just learnt of it yesterday, she was allowed to have a cheat code. She wrote down the sentence, and her face changed from pink to snow white to a shade of green nobody appreciated.