ONE

one way to start a story is with a fresh start.

and, unfortunately for ostana and alex moon, theirs starts this way, too.

you see, ostana moon is a werewolf. like, a literal, howl at the moon, painful transformation once a month for hours at a time, walk on two legs kind of werewolf. and, because of unfortunate circumstances, she bit alex, and he got involved with the supernatural life.

neither of them ever thought they'd be forced to run for their lives, across countries and even oceans to a whole other continent. but, fate works in mysterious ways, and brings people like them together for reasons forever to be unknown.

it was quite inconvenient, in alex's opinion. not knowing what's gonna happen, not being able to prevent bad things from happening to those you care about, and even yourself.

especially when they're caused by a cocky ass vampire who thinks that just because other creatures exist in the world, his species is the only kind allowed to exist without fear of being hunted by the others.

to most vampires, coexistence doesn't exist. to others, they aren't even aware that there are other species out there in the world, because they've all been either hunted into extinction, put on the brink of it, or are in hiding. yeah, none of those are very fun things to think about, unless you're a vampire.

anyways, enough with the dark stuff!

ostana and alex needed a change of pace. a new environment, one not clouded with the supernatural, so as to lessen their paranoia about being found. before they'd left asia, they'd found refuge in a small supernatural community - mostly occupied by witches at the time - where they'd been sold out to the vampire who'd been hunting them.

to make a gruesome story short, he enlisted the volturi and had almost the entire community massacred. all in his search for two. fucking. werewolves.

the volturi were obviously all too happy to help with the pest problem, as they'd called it.

so, the duo had fled asia, and somehow found themselves in a new community along the united states and canadian border. but when they'd gotten tipped off that their hunter was somehow getting closer to finding their new home, despite all the magic protecting it, they asked for help from a witch to assist them in relocating.

they didn't want another accident to happen to such undeserving people because of them.

jasmine graves had been a big help for the two ever since they'd met her. she had given them herbs to help make the transition to beast less painful and make them more aware during it, and she'd helped find them a quiet place to relocate until the vampire could be dealt with. jasmine had also placed many layers of cloaking spells on them, her adoptive father helping her, and soon after, the pair had left.

they were eternally grateful for the teenaged witch and her community.

forks, washington was the place where they were going to be hiding for an indefinite amount of time.

now, the town may have had a funny name, and dreary weather all the time, but ostana and alex were trying to be positive about their situation. for once in the past year - or couple of years, in ostana's case - they were safe, and were able to settle down for at least long enough for alex to finish high school.

alex was honestly pretty excited to return to school. he hadn't been to one - properly - in over a year, his life having been turned upside down the night ostana came barreling into it. of course, he was terribly worried about all the things that could go wrong, but alex was trying not to be too concerned about the cons of settling and letting his guard down.