C h a p t e r N i n e

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Grounds For Divorce" By Elbow

C h a p t e r N i n e >

Charlie doesn't drink but as he raises the Jack Daniels bottle to his lips he thinks he may get into the habit. He can't believe how fucking stupid he was. He was supposed to let Sunny reveal herself to him, not interrogate and overwhelm her to the point of her bolting for the nearest door. He's fucked up and he's pretty sure he's done so beyond repair.

Fuck.

Throwing his head back it hits the kitchen wall with a bang. That doesn't seem to do the job though so he does it again. And again. And finally hard enough to hear the drywall crack behind him. Lifting the bottle to his lips again he squeezes his eyes shut as the whiskey burns its way down his throat. He was stupid to think she would want him. Why would she? He's too fucked up for even him to live with let alone someone like her.

She said she was a bad person but he doesn't believe it for a second. Sure, she's lied to him about everything, probably even her name but does that mean she's a bad person? Hell no! He hasn't told her that he's a werewolf with some form of PTSD and an obsession with protection. So if she's a bad person for lying he might as well be the devil himself.

Scoffing he buries a hand in his hair and pulls on the dark strands. He can feel the tears he's been fighting start to spill from his eyes and does nothing to stop them. His mate has rejected him and Charlie is done trying to pretend that he's not destroyed by that fact. She was supposed to be his salvation but she wasn't up for the job and he was asking for too much.

No one can save him, not even himself.

"Jesus Christ she did a number on you didn't she?"

Charlie sloppily lifts his head to see Remy and Ezra standing over him looking less than impressed. Well, Charlie thinks, maybe Ezra shouldn't have left this bottle here if he didn't want it to be drunken from. Taking another swig from the bottle Charlie barely feels the burn on his tongue before its snatched from his hand. Charlie lets out a growl but neither men even flinches.

Bastards.

"Leave."

"No can do, buddy. We got official business to attend to." Remy says with a grin, "By the way something up with your phone? We've been calling you."

"I know. I'm ignoring it." Charlie mutters before scowling up at his guests, "Too bad you assholes can't take a hint."

"It's one of our better qualities." Remy says with a chuckle before taking a swig from the bottle he stole from him.

Asshole.

"When did she leave?" Ezra asks as he looks around the trailer.

"How did you assholes even get in here?" Charlie slurs at him, ignoring his question.

Ezra rolls his dark eyes, "Spare key, dumbass, you gave it to me two years go when you moved into this place. I've just never used it because you're usually not such a irresponsive jack ass."

"Fuck you, Ezra" Charlie snaps, "You don't know how this feels."

"No I don't but I also know that this isn't you. You don't get wrecked over stupid shit and you sure as hell don't do it over a woman."

"She's not just some woman. She's my god damn mate!"

"Calm down." Remy orders as Charlie's wolf pushes to the surface. Knowing Remy is more dominate his wolf retreats but does so reluctantly.