I Know I'm Being Followed

A/N: had a random idea about a MiB story and this is what came of it. First MiB kind of story so feedback is very welcome.

Warnings: Talk of mental health in a derogatory manner. Paranoia. Drugging.

Listen to the narration by Campfire Tales here: https://youtu.be/Av1ahy6XzGw

I saw a UFO; an actual  unidentified flying object

I saw a UFO; an actual unidentified flying object. I only call it that because there were no reports of flyovers or weather balloons and where I live isn't heavy on military traffic and definitely isn't a flight path for commercial aircraft.

It was around three in the morning and I was on a late night walk; it's when I do most of my thinking and de-stressing. I live with four other people so the house can get noisy and claustrophobic - we all need our space.
I had gotten to a local field that I regularly go too to just chill. There were no street lights to pollute the sky and I had a great view of the stars and moon. Tonight there was no moon or stars to be seen due to heavy cloud cover; it was still a beautiful night.

Sitting on a large felled tree stump at the edge of the field I pulled out my smokes and swore as I realised I'd forgotten my lighter and didn't carry matches. My breath let out in a haze ahead of me as I sighed heavily and rolled my eyes. It was as I had rolled my eyes that I briefly caught sight of something in the sky over the broken down church to my right.

You know that feeling when you know something isn't quite right but you can't pinpoint what? You get that really-uneasy-pit-of-the-stomach-nausea because you can tell that there's something... but your brain just can't make the connection...? I had that.

I had that as I did a double take and let my eyes focus on the series of lights that were seemingly floating silently over the church ruins. I said quietly but definitely out loud that Jesus must actually be an alien. And then I sighed again because there was only me to hear it. Even when alone I was reminded of how socially awkward I am.

My mind raced trying to place the lights; Chinese lanterns? Flares? Drones? LEDs attached to helium balloons and someone was playing a joke on me? I thought any one of these could be true until they started moving closer to me and I was literally filling in the blank.... the large blank that filled the space between the lights. Even though there were no stars to be seen, I could still make out clouds - the sky wasn't pure black, there were breaks in its texture. Except the area between the lights was black. In fact, somehow it was darker than black.

As I was looking, I stand and take a few steps towards it but the lights suddenly disappear. They don't dim and turn off like a normal light; they're just no longer there and almost as I blink the dark area, the void where the lights had surrounded disappears and I can see the breaks in the dark sky again. I can see light peeking through the thinning clouds and I very slowly come to my senses. My watch, I find, has stopped working - being digital it's just... off. No more battery. Pulling my phone out my pocket I'm confused to discover the fully charged battery is also very dead now.