Confusing love?

The splendor before my eyes left me breathless, a vaulted ceiling painted with scenes from an ancient tale; tapestries that stretched across three walls depicting tales of heroes long dead.

However, as fate would have it, I was thoroughly distracted by the flurry of magic explosions obliterating my vision every time a magic spell hit its target: the dragon. After all, I was a mere human in the company of two magical beings, my companion Charlize, a witch, and a fearsome crystal dragon. My presence here was not only an honor but also a grave danger.

"You know what to do, right?!" Charlize shouted at me as she threw another fireball at the dragon's head.

I had been tasked with assisting Charlize on this quest to save the world from the evil of a dragon. But how could I possibly help?

As Charlize continued to hurl spells, I focused on the task at hand.

What exactly did she want me to do? What should I be doing to assist her?

"Cassius!" Charlize shouted. "Get over here! We're going to need your help."

My mind raced through the possibilities as I made my way toward the group.

How am I supposed to help you fight a dragon?!

Charlize's eyes widened as we approached each other. She pointed at the dragon and began to chant a spell.

Her magic was a burst of power that caused a nearby tree to explode into splinters.

That's definitely not something I'd expect from a witch...

The dragon roared in anger and charged toward us with a furious cry. A small group of soldiers rushed out of the trees to engage with the dragon.

We stood side-by-side, facing off against the crystal beast.

"Good luck," Charlize said to me.

"Thanks," I replied.

The dragon roared once again and leaped into the air. It arched its back and shot down at us with massive speed. Charlize let loose another blast of magic at the dragon's chest. The force of her attack hurled the creature away from us and sent it crashing to the ground.

The impact of the dragon's fall shook the earth beneath our feet. I looked around for the source of the shaking, hoping to see the dragon wounded or on the verge of death. But the dragon didn't appear to be injured.

"Not so fast!" Charlize shouted.

She ran toward the fallen crystal dragon and began casting a spell.

Before I knew it, a swarm of glowing lights engulfed the dragon's body and started to spread out from the center of the beast. The crystals glowed brighter and brighter while the light grew to encompass more and more of the dragon's body until it became blinding to behold. Then, the light vanished.

A moment passed before the crystal dragon rose to its knees and slowly rose into the sky.

"And good riddance!" Charlize said with a smile.

"Let's go," I told her.

We headed toward the castle gates where an army of soldiers waited to escort us home.

***

"Thank you for your assistance, Cassius," Charlize said as she climbed into my carriage.

"It was nothing," I responded.

"Well, you saved the kingdom."

"It's not like I did anything special."

"You're wrong. You stopped the dragon from destroying the entire town. And if the dragon hadn't been weakened enough already, you managed to weaken him further by using your abilities. Without your help, the crystal dragon might have killed everyone in the village!"