79: Little Sunshine

|Timeskip>>|

It was in the middle of the night when Kyōjurō heard the sound of Taiyo crying.

He stirred next to you and groans, before taking a moment to scrub his right eye of sleep, before sitting up.

He had long since gotten use to these late night wake ups, but the initial rush of adrenaline is difficult to deal with.

Carefully, he rolls out of bed, but not before sneaking a brief glance at you to make sure he hadn't disturb your slumber.

Every since you'd retired from being a Demon Slayer, to being a stay at home mom; you'd been so busy cooking, cleaning, and taking care of Taiyo; while Kyōjurō continued his duties as the infamous Flame Hashira.

There were times where he would be gone for weeks on missions to protect humanity.

In addition to this, you'd been helping out at the Butterfly Estate, preparing daily meals and medicine for your Demon Slayer brethren and of course, helping both Shinobu and Ruru aid the wounded.

So, you deserved a well good rest for being such a wonderful, hardworking and dutiful wife.

Today had been somewhat eventful with Kyōjurō telling you about the most recent Hashira meeting at the Ubuyashiki Manor and a brief story about a young boy who had been sent to them carrying a little demon girl on his back, and how everyone protested Kagaya-sama's desires to keep her alive.

The walk from the bedroom to the nursery seemed eternal with fatigue wearing heavy on his limbs, but the moment Kyōjurō steps foot inside the room, he catches sight of the small mahogany crib in the corner of the room.

Kyōjurō immediately felt some of that weariness fade away once his golden and red eyes lands on the wiggling form of his son, now 4 months.

"Hey there, sunny." Kyōjurō says while looking into the crib, taking a second to admire the little miracle that is his son.

It still warmed his heart that this little human before him proved he was a father. Kyōjurō couldn't help but marvel how beautiful his son is; at just 5 months old and already resembled so much of the Flame Pillar as matching golden and red eyes stared up him.

At the sight of his father, Taiyou frantically flail his little limbs as his cries only increases.

Instinctively, Kyōjurō bends down to pick the squirming baby boy up and holds him to his chest as Taiyo's crying settles a bit.

"What's wrong, my son?"

As Kyōjurō goes to adjust his son's position in his arms, that's when he felt the source of the problem.

His diaper.

"Oh, your diaper's full!"

Kyōjurō knew how to take care of this one, since he'd done it before. But it was under the careful supervision of you.

Now, it would be the first time he do it without you to observe his technique, since he felt confident he could do it by himself this time.

He grabs Taiyo's tiny hand, little chubby fingers instantly wrapping around his thumb.

Clearly, it's out of reflex, but it never fail to set Kyōjurō's heart ablaze every time he feels or sees his son's tiny hand grip his much larger one. It sparked an immense amount of love and the desire to protect this precious little being in his arms.