5. Welcome Home

LUNA's POV

"Luna, wake up, baby," I'm awoken by Wanda shaking me gently, making sure to remove her hand as soon as my eyes open so I know I'm not gonna get hurt.

I must've fallen asleep at some point on the way over here.

"Hey," my mother smiles after I gain some more awareness of my surroundings and sit up properly. "We're here. The house is right there," she informs me and points to the house in front of us, and I can't help but shrink back into my seat.

This is real. The moment I step in that door, I will be part of the Maximoff family. Unless Wanda's husband decides not to let me stay, or if she makes that decision herself. It's all too much. My breathing is picking up by the minute and I can feel my whole body beginning to shake. I've experienced this a couple of times before, but I've never known what it is. I was always just told to 'suck it up' and 'get over it.'

"Hey, it's alright, we can take a second. Have you had panic attacks before?" Wanda asks me with the same worried look on her face that she had the moment she found out who I am to her.

"W-what's a panic attack?" I question through my shallow breaths. It's escalating.

"It's... well, it's what's happening to you right now. I'll explain it to you in a minute. Just focus on taking some deep breaths for now, okay? Come on, I'll do them with you," she says kindly before attempting to take my hands into hers, but I flinch heavily and my breathing only becomes more rapid.

Physical contact has never been a favorite of mine, because all the physical contact I've received has ended in me bruised, broken, or bleeding. I couldn't tell you the amount of broken bones I've had. The most recent was my ankle, but all they did was stick a cast on it and force me continue training, despite the agonizing pain. I still don't think it's set correctly since it still hurts a lot.

WANDA's POV

Luna's reaction to me trying to hold her hands, although not surprising, was upsetting. Just the look of utter fear and panic in her eyes is enough to make me feel sick. She's terrified of me, her mother.

I know I'm not the route of the problem with physical contact, for I haven't laid a hand on her since she was two years old.

She did fall asleep on me earlier, but I suspect it was just because she was sleepy and was distressed from learning of her uncle's death. She's more aware of what's happening now and thanks to what Strucker and his men did to her, she's grown to think that anyone who touches her is going to hurt her.

"It's alright. I'm staying right here," I breathe out, still a little shaken up from her sudden outburst of emotion. "I just need you to breathe slowly for me, okay? Nice and slow." I'm making sure to use the softest voice I can as not to startle her further.

The next few minutes are spent with me gently coaxing Luna through some deep breaths, all the while staying as still as possible so she doesn't think I'm going to hurt her. That's the best way to do things with her; be gentle, and no sudden moves.

Eventually, the teen's breathing evens out and her tears have stopped fully. There's nothing left except for a numb, emotionless girl sitting in the passenger seat. I know exactly what she's doing. Because I did the same. If you numb it out or 'dissociate', the difficult feelings stop. Or at least temporarily. Until one day something tips you over the edge and all those feelings come back at once. I had to learn that the hard way, through many breakdowns. But I refuse to let her reach that point. I will teach her that it's okay to feel.

"Are you feeling better now, sweetheart?" I ask after she lets out one last shaky breath.

"I think so. I really hate when that happens," she sighs and brings her knees up to her chest, hiding her head in them.