chapter six

BEING A HUMAN WAS embarrassing to say the least. it was probably, in the beginning of it, the worst experience in namjoon's life. and it all started after he managed to deliver his name.

they wanted him to... to walk. to get up and walk.

it was horrific; not being used to having his tail divided into two. the way he embarrassingly clutched on to hoseok's—the kind human with a friendly smile—neck, and almost took him down to the ground with him. it was like teaching a baby siren how to forage; watching them firsthand pick a mildly poisonous plant before telling them off when its effect hits. but the thing was with the humans... they strangely didn't tell him off.

which was a little concerning, considering the look on their face almost seemed disturbed. and of course, being on the receiving end of these a lot, namjoon was only more ashamed of thrusting himself into such a situation. maybe he could've asked the sorceress or dzina for a tutorial. dzina was more patient, maybe she could teach him. (if she even knew how)

"come on you can do it! one step then another!"

it was almost infuriating how they encouraged him as if he even knew what the word "step" even meant! namjoon tried his best though, and he was now dragging his feet as he leaned extremely heavily on hoseok, around the room like a helpless seahorse. he wanted the sea to dissolve him or swallow him whole... maybe both.

   once they made the fifth rotation, namjoon felt everything give out. thank goodness they were near the bed, or he would've just fell down on the ground. (he was also fascinated how heavy things are on land than on sea. falling would only hurt now) he shook his head and just tried to stop hoseok from moving him further, which got the attention of goomin; she looked a little frustrated, but otherwise didn't say anything.

   "does it hurt—?" yes, oh yes. and then he sat down (quite similarly to how he did it under the water) on the bed again, and for a moment, it was hard to breathe. he didn't like feeling helpless but at the same time, namjoon didn't feel like getting up or doing anything. he felt more comfortable lying down.

he knew they were giving him looks of pity. he was already embarrassed and shy and this wasn't helping—them thinking he couldn't do anything; just like back home. useless. he couldn't even tell them what was wrong, he couldn't even communicate properly... he hated every part of this.

"hey do you... remember what happened to you? why you're in such pain?" goomin asked, her pretty forehead creased in worry. and even though the siren knew how to write in human language now, he simply couldn't tell them hello, i came here to steal a voice from a human and i am actually a whole other species than you, could you lead me to the owner of the prettiest voice on the island and i'll be on my way? it was just going to make them doubt him—and probably his sanity as well.

as far as humans knew, creatures that in a way, resembled them, didn't exist, but they were always part of their legends and myths. to them, sirens and merpeople didn't exist, and if they did, they were labelled as dangerous. so namjoon opted to shake his head, before leaning back against the headboard, content in taking a settling, deep breath. he couldn't even lift his legs up... how pathetic.

as for the prettiest voice part, it was the process the sorceress told him. he was on a mission to take a human's voice, yes, but not just any human...

a human siren.

which basically means a human with a voice that is as alluring and wooing as a siren's usually is, with a voice that the moon cries to, on a gentle breezy night. namjoon was determined to find someone who can sing so beautifully, so he could strip it away from them—which in retrospect sounded a little cruel, but the sorceress had a point. sirens were known for their voices, humans couldn't possibly take that away from them too.