Bonus 1 - Iska

POV General:

In his office, Saul was finishing sorting through his paperwork, exhausted. He had had a busy day, as most exam days used to be. He had watched the second year students fight, and he had to face the fact that his son would make an experienced warrior, just like Riven and Kat. The holidays were coming up, and he was looking forward to spending them with Farah and her daughters. Since they had been together, things had become much easier and more natural.

The only major change he had to deal with was the departure of Ben and his children, who were now living with Luna. It had not been easy for Saul and Farah, but after a few weeks they had managed to get used to it.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door.

"Come in!"

The door opened to reveal a relatively shy metis young lady holding an Akita Inu dog on a leash. She was a Specialist who was finishing her last year. As she lived alone with her brother, twelve years older, who used to work long days to support them, Saul had allowed her to keep her dog at Alfea so that he would not have to spend his days alone in the flat.

"Leiana, what can I do for you?" he inquired benevolently, smiling.

"Mr. Silva, I'm going to join the Solaria Guard in a few days. I've been offered a job, and my brother is still working as much as ever, which means that there will be no one to take care of Iska," she began, hesitantly. "I know you like her very much, and I'd be happy to have you to look after her, I don't feel like bringing her to the animal rescue, and I know that here, with you, she'll be fine."

Saul stood up from his seat, touched by her request. He had always liked this hard-working and willing student. Leiana had not had an easy life, she had lost her parents at the age of nine in a car accident, and her brother had had to take her in when he had barely finished his studies in accounting. He knew that Iska made her happier, stronger, and made the student feel better about herself. Unfortunately, she was forced to part with her, which was heartbreaking for her.

The director of the Specialists felt that he had to help his former student.

"I agree, Leiana, Iska will stay in Alfea, she is in good hands" he accepted, reassuring.

"Thank you, Sir," she murmured, grateful. "You know how much she means to me. I'll leave her with you for the evening."

He nodded before taking the leash and releasing her while he was finishing his work, speaking softly to her. Farah would surely make a funny face when she heard the news, she enjoyed her well-ordered life.

POV Jade:

Tonight, as usual, Bloom, Sky and I were gathered in my mom's place before dinner. Kat wasn't with us this time, the Specialists had invited her to spend the evening with them.

Only Saul was missing. He had never stayed out so late before.

"Well, let's eat, because if we have to wait for Saul, we'll eat at ten o'clock," my mom decided jokingly.

She had prepared stuffed courgette and pasta for us.

No sooner had we started dinner than he came in, accompanied by Iska, Leiana's dog, a final-year student, which surprised us.

"Dad, why did you bring Iska?" asked Sky, astonished. "Is Leiana sick?"

Saul untied the leash, and Iska immediately came over to greet us, obviously happy to see us.

"Oh, you're so cute," I exclaimed as she placed her front paws on my thighs.

I stroked her silky coat and my stepfather cleared his throat, looking serious.

"Iska is part of the family now, Leiana has been offered a position in the Solaria Guard, and she can't take care of her anymore," he explained. "She specifically demanded that I adopt her, and I accepted."

"That's great!" Bloom rejoiced. "She'll be fine with us!"

Even though I was less expressive than my sister, I was thrilled with the idea and Sky seemed to be very pleased. Only my mom seemed more reluctant.

"Come on, Saul!" she scolded him in rebuke. "We can't adopt a dog like that, it has to be a well-considered decision!"

The dog walked towards her and licked her hand affectionately.

"She's already adopted you, darling," he replied with an amused look.

"Yes, but who will take her out in the evening?" she questioned, her face softening.

"We'll take her in turns, Bloom, Sky and I," I asserted, motivated.

"And where will we place her basket?"

"In our room, love, close to us," Saul answered, putting his arm around her shoulders.

"Please, Farah," begged Sky, who had grown attached to our dog friend. "At least do it for her and for Leiana, who is stuck in her situation."

Bloom gave him a suspicious gaze.

"It seems to me that you're quite worried about Leiana," she teased him. "Do you have something to hide from us?"

He shrugged.

"Not at all."

My mom laughed, a little embarrassed.

"It's okay, Iska will stay with us," she nodded, more relaxed. "I don't want her to go to an animal shelter where she'll be miserable anyway."

We squealed with delight and Iska barked in approval. Saul was a wonderful person, always willing to help and do good around him. He was the man my mom needed, the one who could make her see the good in every situation, who could make her question certain choices. I didn't know if he would ever propose to her, but I secretly hoped he would; I knew that nothing could have made her happier.

As for me, in terms of happiness, I was pretty well placed: I had a golden family, the one I had long dreamed of, a family filled with love, kindness; parents, my grandma, a sister and a brother, no matter if Saul and Sky were not blood-related. And most of all, I had Kat, my amazing girlfriend, who had helped me save my mom from the fire in her place, and I would not forget her act of bravery.

I enjoyed my meal, this time with my family, for one evening. I knew that soon Alfea would be emptied of its students, leaving a monastic silence.

But isn't it said that silence is gold?