Chapter 6: Trouble in the North Pole

The next morning, it was hard for me to get up. I felt like I had weights on my eyes and weighed a thousand pounds. But, then again, that's every girl's dilemma. And I wasn't much of a morning person. Bernard tried his best to wake me up.
"Bella Stella, rise and shine," Bernard said as he gently shook me.
"Mmm," I groaned.
"Come on, Stells. Time to start the day," Bernard said as he shook me a little harder.
"Mmmm," I groaned louder.
"Stellaaa," Bernard sang.
"No," I whined.
"Don't make me do this the hard way," Bernard said. I groaned in response. "Okay, that's it," he said. He then yanked the blankets off of me.
"No, it's cold," I said as I went to grab the blankets, but instead Bernard grabbed my hand and used it to haul me over his shoulder.
"Noooo," I whined again as I was yanked from the bed.
"Yessss," Bernard said, mockingly before he took me over to my closet.
"I don't wanna," I whined.
"Well, you gotta," Bernard replied as he grabbed my clothes. He then took me over to my bathroom and placed me in front of the vanity.
"Get dressed, I'll meet you outside when you're ready," Bernard told me. He was about to close the door but I stopped him.
"Wait," I whined.
"What?" asked Bernard. I frowned and crossed my arms.
"Ah. No pouting," Bernard said as he pointed at me in warning. I pouted even more by flapping out my bottom lip.
"I want a kiss," I whined. Bernard's expression softened and he smiled. He kissed my pouty lips and closed the door.
I brushed the hair out of my face and looked in the mirror. I screamed in panic. The door opened quickly a few seconds later.
"What? What?" Bernard asked, worriedly. I looked over at him and grabbed my ears.
"They're gone!" I yelled.
"Uh-oh," Bernard said with widened eyes.
"Uh-oh is an understatement, the more appropriate reaction is–Ahhh!" I screamed. I couldn't believe my pointy ears vanished overnight. They were completely fine last night when I returned to the Pole but now they're gone completely.
"Wh-wha-what do I do?" I asked.
"Well, you can wear your hat a lot lower down on your ears," Bernard suggested.
"Okay, okay. But since my ears are gone, does that mean I've lost my elf magic?" I asked.
"As long as you have power in that necklace all of your powers should be fine. If not you can test it out," Bernard suggested. I nodded and tried to teleport over to my bed. Luckily it worked. I sighed in relief.
"Phew," Bernard sighed in relief.
"Okay. I'll be okay, It'll be fine. I still have the ability to teleport to illinois...phew," I said to myself. I had Bernard leave the room so I could finish getting ready. I got into my green outfit and wore my hat lower down on my head to where the tip of my ears hid.
I met Bernard (who was now also fully dressed) outside of my room and went with him to meet Curtis outside of my dad's office.
"Ah, good morning, Stella," Curtis said to me.
"Good morning, Curtis," I said in greeting. We then entered my dad's room only to see Toy Santa eating a bowl of waxed fruit
"Uh, good morning Santa!" Curtis said to Toy Santa. Toy Santa looked up and dropped the waxed pear he was eating.
"Ah! Curtis! Hello! I didn't hear you come in," Toy Santa said with a chuckle before putting down the bowl.
"Are you ready for the day, sir?" Curtis asked.
"Yeah, yeah, sure! Just let me get the handbook," Toy Santa said. He then grabbed the handbook that was sitting at his desk.
"Alright, Santa you remember Stella, your daughter," Curtis said to Toy Santa who has his nose in Curtis' hand book. Toy Santa looked up at me.
"Ah, yes. Stella, my daughter," Toy Santa said to me.
"Alright. Shall we begin the day?" Bernard suggested. We all nodded and Bernard, Curtis and I walked along with Toy Santa trailing behind us.

I still didn't feel comfortable with a life-sized toy version of my dad walking around. It felt weird and I really didn't deem it necessary but I didn't want to hurt Curtis' feelings because I know he worked really hard on the Pantograph. His intentions on the machine were good, but I honestly wasn't too sure how good Toy Santa was going to be. I was completely zoned out until something Curtis said got my attention.
"Well, I think he's learning at an excellent rate," Curtis said to Bernard.
"Oh, really? This morning he ate a bowl of waxed fruit," Bernard disagreed.
"--Wait a minute," Toy Santa interjected as he caught up to us. "I need the naughty-and-nice list."
"No," Bernard said as he shook his head.
"Oh, yes, yes! It says I'm supposed to check it twice," Toy Santa told Bernard.
"Santa already checked it," Bernard replied.
"No, I didn't," Toy Santa said.
"The real Santa," said Bernard.
"I am the real Santa," Toy Santa said, loudly.
"I'm sorry?" I interjected.
"I'm in charge here," said Santa.
"What?" asked Bernard.
"I'm supposed to check the list twice. That's the rule. I like the rules. I think you're aware of how I feel about that," Toy Santa said to Bernard.
"I think you're misunderstanding something," I said. "Look, I don't know what kind of ideas Curtis filled in your–"
"No, no. I'm the rule maker. I like the rules. Santa likes rules. I thought I'd–"
"I've got a good idea. How about we have some fun?" Curtis interjected.
"Huh?" Toy Santa said as he looked from Bernard to Curtis.
"It's good to have fun," said Curtis.
"Right," Bernard said. "Santa," Bernard said with a cough. "Look over there. See those elves?" Bernard asked as he pointed over to Joey and his pals who were playing a game of tinsel football before their shifts. "Go ahead. Go play some tinsel football."
"What's the object of this tinsel football?" Toy Santa asked.
"Come on down," Curtis said as he waved Toy Santa over. Toy Santa knelt down to Curtis' level.
"If you don't have the ball, get it. If you have the ball, run to the end zone," Curtis told Toy Santa with a smile and nod. Toy Santa smiled and nodded as well, a little squeak emitting from his chin.
"OK, I'll go get the football," Toy Santa said right before the elves started the game. Brian was about to pass the ball to Joey, but Toy Santa ran at him and dove right at Brian, knocking him down. I gasped and covered my mouth. I looked over at Bernard and Curtis' whose jaws were agape.
"Alright, I got the ball. What are you gonna do about it? Who's gonna stop me? Come on!" Toy Santa mocked. The elves looked intimidated by Toy Santa's behavior.