Chapter Six: Echoes of You

You cut me up like a knife and hung me out here to dry. You're the reason I can't sleep through the night... I wanna forget, I remember how it was; even though you're dead to me, you're always showin' up. You're my poltergeist; demon in my head, keep me up at night. I feel you when the room gets cold as ice, sinking your teeth in a bruise. You got nothing to lose, you're my poltergeist. Consume me, I'll be your sacrifice.- Blackbear, Poltergeist

Three Years Later

At nearly three years old, Cassie looked nothing like her father. Her skin was darker than his, her hair straight. She had bright blue eyes framed by dark lashes, just like her mother.

Theo, on the other hand, looked exactly like Tim. At two and a half, Theodore Hal Blanchard appeared to not take after his mother hardly at all. He had his father's bone structure, his unruly curls, even his eyes.

He was ridiculously intelligent and well-spoken for his age, too.

Tim provided Livvy with a downright ungodly amount of child support. It wasn't even court-ordered; he just sent her the money every month. Lea assumed that this was because the bastard's net worth seemed to double every year, bringing it up to its current state of $160 million. It was with the money he gave them that they paid the mortgage on their three bedroom house (Lea had managed to swing the master bedroom so Livvy and Cassie could have separate rooms). Her job as a theatrical costume designer at the local theater was going well, and she loved it. Her life wasn't so bad, considering.

Tim came to visit Cassie regularly, but Lea was always sure to leave the house well before he got there. He was consistent in giving them a few days' notice, and she used this to her advantage.

Livvy occasionally tried to convince her to stay and talk to him, insisting that it must have been a misunderstanding. Lea didn't see how it could be, though. He'd made it abundantly clear that he wasn't interested in being part of Theo's life, and if she were honest with herself, she liked it that way.

Why would she want to reconnect with the man who broke her heart? Why would she want Theo to find out his father didn't want him? There was simply no up side.

It was fine. It was for the best. It was fine.

Cassie's third birthday party was that afternoon, and Lea was looking forward to it. She always looked forward to having over her mother and sisters as well as her other best friend, Sam. Plus, Theo and Cassie got to see their friends from daycare. Tim hadn't been able to be there for Cassie's birthday the day of the previous two years, instead coming to see her a few days later. When he hadn't contacted Livvy about his plans for their daughter's birthday, both she and Lea had deduced that things would be the same as the previous years.

Lea was showered, her makeup carefully applied. Her outfit was nothing special: a nude bra from Torrid, pale pink panties she'd gotten in a discount bin at Target, a white patterned Artizia dress she'd splurged on the previous year, the soft fabric reaching her calves. She wore flat white sandals from Nine West that wouldn't be too difficult to chase Theo in and studs from Icing in the same color as the pendant on the necklace Tim had given her. She wore that, too. She usually wore it, wanting to keep a piece of him close to her in some way.

Lea fluffed her hair in her bedroom mirror, adjusting the tied straps of her dress.

"You look pretty, Mama," Theo said happily.

"Thank you, baby," she told him, ruffling his hair and holding out her hand for him to take. "Are you ready for Sissy's party?"

"Yes!" he squealed with delight.