「005. cut-throat」

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

"NEWBIES?"

Valerie sat in one of the chairs across from Maddox's desk, slumped down with her arms crossed over her chest and her boots kicked up on the desk. Maddox was sitting in his chair, rocking it back and forth. I was leaning against the wall.

Valerie was basically Maddox's second in command. She said I was, but everyone knew it was her. She taught me the basics of our training, along with half of the other residents. She and Maddox were the backbone of the Blackstorm.

"Marshall and Emerson Worthington," Maddox slid a vanilla folder to her. "Brother and sister. Brother is older."

"Served time in the Army," She hummed, reading through the file. "20 years old. Joined when he was 18. He was immediately placed in a special forces task group. He didn't even complete four years. Why?"

"He went MIA," Maddox replied, as Valerie handed me the file. "Left in the middle of a mission and was never seen again. Until he showed up here with his sister."

"Any idea why he left?" I asked, closing the folder.

"The sister was in trouble with the law. She got framed for murder, and somehow got a hold of him out in the field," Valerie said, opening the other folder. "He dropped everything to go bail his 16-year-old sister out of jail?"

"I guess he's the closest thing she has to a guardian," Maddox shrugged. "Siblings do some pretty crazy stuff for each other."

"I'd say so," Valerie tossed the folder down. "When are they coming?"

"Marcus and Alejandro are bringing them now," He replied, rising to his feet. "You two are with me. Be on your guard, Isaiah. I don't know how Marshall will react."

I followed them out of the room. "Is he violent?"

"He's a specially trained vet," Valerie said. "He's prone to anything. I'd bet he's carrying a weapon now."

"He's got a bit of a temper," Maddox said. "But it's nothing you can't handle."

When we exited the mansion, I saw a black car pull up. Alejandro stepped out first, then Marcus followed. Maddox walked forward, Valerie and I on either of his sides.

"Good call bringing beanstalk there," Alejandro jerked his head to me.

"Motherfucker doesn't know how to put a cork in it," Marcus grumbled. He reached forward and opened the door.

Marshall's hair was fairly long compared to other people in the military. It was blonde, and he had emerald-colored eyes. He was wearing a cut-off white shirt, the front of it stained with what looked like car grease. He had a bit smeared across his face, and it was over his hands as well. He was smoking a cigarette but tossed it to the side when he climbed out of the car.

The girl who climbed after him was tiny compared to him. She had curly red hair that had messily been pulled into a low bun. Her eyes were green as well, but her's were lighter—like limes. Tan freckles were scattered across her face and her shoulders, traveling down her arms and her legs. She was wearing a tank top and shorts and immediately shuffled into Marshall's side the moment she was out of the car.

She seemed afraid, and it took me a minute to realize that it was because of me. She kept staring at me, practically hiding behind Marshall. Then again, I was dressed in full tactical gear and I was holding an M4. I probably didn't seem very welcoming. And that's probably why Maddox had dragged me out here with him.

"You can relax," Valerie said beside me, offering a smile to Marshall and Emerson. "This is only for precautionary measures."

"It's very welcoming," Marshall replied sarcastically. "Who the fuck is he?"