Chapter 7

Sometime after you left I had finished the food not wanting to let it go to waste. Having absolutely no idea when I would eat again. You hadn't come back down since I told you to leave but that didn't mean anything. This was just another game, flaunting in my face that you can come and go whenever you want to.
Getting bored after pacing the floor I got down on all fours and started doing push ups. Upper body strength has never been something that I've had, relieved that my school gym teacher didn't really take his job seriously, well with the girls at least, or else I would have been failing.
At five my arms gave out and I plopped to the floor, flipping around deciding to do sit-ups instead. Getting up to thirty before my abdomen muscles screamed no more, resting my back on the ground as I stared up at the ceiling.
What are you doing right now?
Were you even up there or had you gone off to work or to run errands?
What time even was it?
Being down here I began to understand that time only mattered when there were things to do, places to be. For all I knew it could be the middle of the night or the sun could still be in the sky.
Grabbing onto my chain, twisting it, watching as the links pushed together shrinking in length. Funny how I kept referring to this contraption as my chain but that's what it is, isn't it? My metal leash to keep me obediently down here. Light gleaming off the steel, making the links sparkle.
Your scent all around me, though I could hardly smell the aroma past my own stench. No doubt that I was in desperate need of a shower with soap. Picking at my hair, running my palm over the top feeling the amount of grease that has accumulated over the last few days.
Never in my life have I gone this long without a shower and my deodorant stopped working the day after you brought me here. Not even wanting to check to see how long my leg hair has gotten, being able to feel the stubble already.
This flannel was definitely a lot better than the nightgown, making me even happier that I tore up the flimsy thing.
Which led me to think about the marks on your back.
So many, all different from what I could see in the distance. Dim light making it even harder to tell, could I have been making them up? A trick of the light turning shadows into something more? No. I saw them, I know that I did.
Were you in an accident? Maybe a motorcycle wreck scrapping your back against the asphalt road, that could explain the damage. Were they burn marks? Had you been in a fire, or maybe you fell down a rocky cliff while hiking?
How long have you had them?
"Stop!"
Even when you weren't here I was still thinking about you. No, I wouldn't let you invade my thoughts any more. It was bad enough that you brought me here. I didn't need you in my head too.
Closing my eyes, looking at the darkness behind my closed eyelids imagining my mothers face. Her kind smile that was so filled with love. Blonde wavy hair that she always had up in a messy bun to keep the strands out of her face. Narrow cheekbones, full lips, eyes an amber brown. Yet something was off, her features weren't completely right and no matter how hard I tried to visualize the image stayed fuzzy.
Trying to envision my dad with his lightly tanned skin, full medium brown hair that was shorter on the sides and longer on the top, trimmed in a way to bring out what little of a jawline he did have. Eyes like the ocean, just like mine. Still not fully right, lips curving into a lopsided grin that made your eyes light up. Your face. Quickly opening my eyes, the ceiling coming back into view.
"Ugh."
Disturbed, I got up, pacing the room again. Walking for what felt like hours until my legs got tired, sitting on the floor with my back to the wall, legs straight out in front. Flexing and extending my feet, pointing my toes then stretching them out. Reaching forward, touching them then repeating the process.
Anything to give me something to do.
When my eyes started to grow heavy I thankfully got up and walked over to the bed knowing that I would be able to escape at least for a little while.
Bacon, eggs, even in my sleep I wanted food. Smelling the greasy aroma. Licking my lips wanting to taste them. Eyes flickering, the smell didn't disappear. On the overturned lime green bucket was a plate with sunny side up eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast along with another water.
You were nowhere in the room. The empty plate from before was gone.
Greedily picking up a strip of bacon, crumbling as I bit into the salty pork. Cold. So were the eggs, the plate had been sitting here for a bit. Not caring as I placed the plate in my lap swirling the toast around in the egg yolk as I finished off the bacon.
Eating the food you brought was a risk not knowing when or if you were going to slip drugs in to knock me out. I needed to keep up my energy if there was even the slightest possibility that I could get out of this collar.
If the cuff had been placed somewhere else, on my wrist for instance, would I be able to get it off? Bringing my hand up, squeezing my thumb in to make it the same size as my wrist. Though the bone was too large if anything I would have to break my thumb before I could slip the cuff off. Could I do that? Break my own hand in order to get away?
Flinching at the thought, a dull ache starting at the base of my wrist, shaking the pain out knowing the answer was no.
Imagining the cuff around my ankle, breaking my foot was absolutely out of the question because I wouldn't be able to run away. At least I would have two hands to try and pry the hinges open while actually being able to see what I was doing.
Sliding the collar around until the opening was in front. There had to be a pin or button, something to release otherwise how would you have put this thing on me? Finding a small indent, keeping my finger over the hole as I grabbed the plastic fork. Going merely by touch, forcing one of the stubs into the indention, putting too much force causing the fragile plastic handle to snap in two.
Searching for the bottom piece, shoving the prong back into the hole, pushing, with no use. Even without seeing it I knew that the fork was too stubby to fit.
Chunking the remains of the utensil across the room hearing them bounce off the wall and skid onto the ground, tears threatening at the corners of my eyes.
Was I ever going to see my parents again?
Yes. It was only a matter of time, but how much?
How long was I going to be trapped here before the police figured out where I was? Raising my head, envisioning a living room with only simple furniture, a wide front window with curtains that blocked everyone's view inside. The front door, dark wood same as the bed, blasting open with a battering ram. Police bursting in, fanning out, checking every room until they found you then tackling you to the ground but you resist so they tase you. Taking five guys to hold you down as you buck wildly in an attempt to knock them off getting in a few good punches while you're at it.
No use, the officers get your hands behind your back long enough to put restraints around your wrists even going so far as to put them around your ankles too.
Your eyes grow wide as you see me, an officer helping me up the stairs. Angry words sputtering out of your mouth, cursing them, moving towards me. Breaking free only to make it two steps before another officer steps in front of me blocking your path. They tase you again but it's as if you don't feel the jolts of electricity shooting through your body. Looking like a wild man.
I watch as they drag you from the house and shove you into the back of a squad car. Your eyes on mine as they drive you away. The stare unbroken until the car turns the corner and I was finally free.
Free.
Wanting out, I didn't want to look at these walls anymore. Heading over to the bed.
Sleep was my only escape.