Starting at the Source

Alexis was buttoning up her coat, preparing for the brisk October evening, when Demetri walked in through the door.

"Well, you made quite the impression on Harry," he said. 

"Did I?" Alexis asked absentmindedly. 

"He can't seem to decide whether you're suspicious or you'd make a great Auror." 

Alexis shrugged.

"What did you say to him?" Demetri frowned at her. 

"Nothing," Alexis answered. "I stuck to the script." 

"Bullshit." Demetri's eyes fell to her coat, suddenly noticing it. "Going somewhere?" 

"I'm meeting someone." Alexis tried to get around Demetri but he grabbed her arm, pulling her back. 

"Who?" he asked skeptically. 

"It doesn't concern you." She tried to get around him again.

He threw out his arm, blocking her path. "Lex." His voice rang with warning. 

Alexis sighed. "If my calculations are correct, I'm going to meet Draco Malfoy." 

Demetri's annoyance turned into surprise. "Draco Malfoy? How?"

"You're not the only one with connections, Becker." 

Demetri studied her face. "You're not going alone, Lex."

"Like hell I'm not." Alexis scoffed. "Move." 

"It could be dangerous." 

"I think I can handle a 20 year old kid, Demetri." 

"It could be a trap," Demetri offered. 

"You don't think I've thought of that?" 

"I know you're smart, Lex, but-" 

"But nothing." Alexis squeezed passed Demetri, her hand resting on the doorknob. "I'll be fine." 

"Just let me cover you, please." 

"I can't stop you," Alexis said. "Just stay out of my way." 

"I always do." 

Alexis shot a dirty look to Demetri before walking out the door. 

Alexis walked into a dirty and crowded bar on the outskirts of London. She saw Demetri, who had come in earlier, seated in the corner, facing straight toward the bar with his arms crossed. She looked in the direction of his stare and saw a blonde man sitting on a stool, cradling a drink. 

Alexis sat beside him. The man looked down at his drink, seemingly oblivious to Alexis. 

"Gin and tonic," she said to the bartender. 

She got her drink soon after and took a few sips before turning to the man. 

"Cold night," she said. 

The man grunted in response. 

From the corner of her eye, she looked at his face. He looked like he hadn't shaved in a few days, his skin was rough and dark circles formed under his eyes. He took a long sip of his drink and she noticed his hands shaking. He wore a baseball cap that shadowed his face but the lights of the bar did not help to conceal his appearance. 

Alexis took the last sip of her drink, slamming in down on the bar harder than she meant to. The man jumped. She eyed him warily. 

The man motioned toward the bartender and ordered another drink. As he reached into his pocket, Alexis was quicker. She threw money onto the bar.