Chapter 5: The Temple

The stairs to the temple looked like a small hike of their own. I didn't mind it, but I was sure Ujjwal was in no mood to test his stamina further. Though he didn't let any of that show on his face. There must be about 200 stairs to the top. I grabbed the basket, and Ujjwal carried the bag pack.

There were about two hours left before sunset. It sure looked like an abandoned place. All the stairs have turned greenish, requiring repair work here and there. But that also added a rustic touch to its beauty.

This temple was in the middle of the jungle, with forest ranges on either side of the stairs. The air was cooler, with the white noise of birds and branches rustling around. When we were halfway up, I noticed Ujjwal's face turning red. He was trying hard to be tough, but that lean gym physique has yet to spend much time doing cardio.

I suggested that we take a break. He dropped the bag and sat on the next stair. I pulled the water bottle out of the bag and offered it to him. He took off this silver jacket to let out some of the heat. Underneath, he was wearing a fitted black tee stretching across his broad chest. And, gosh, those perfect cuts on his arms.

I was the one with a red face now. And I was embarrassed that I was blushing. It's good for me that he was too phased out to notice. He passed the bottle to me. I sat a few steps above him to avoid giving away too much from my face.

Near my feet, a flower was breaking out from the stairs. It was a pretty, purple flower with a yellow core. I looked around, and they were all over. It diffused a mild scent, and I collected as much as possible like a kid.

Within the next few minutes, I held a bunch of them in my hand, looming over their smell. I turned my face towards a shutter sound. It was Ujjwal with his camera laughing at me. I didn't know what to reply, so he filled the air between us instead,

"You look adorable when you smile."

I asked him to show me the picture, but he refused, "Maybe later." I was annoyed, but obviously, I couldn't overpower him with my twig-like arms. So, I let it be.

He wrapped the jacket around his waist like that weird trend in 90s Bollywood movies, but still, it suited him quite well. He handed me the basket and covered the rest of the stairs, only with more breaks because he wanted to click a few shots.

The temple was a small lost structure, but it still had the aura of a holy place. I knew that because I felt calmer as I entered its premises. Ujjwal wandered off to get some shots and asked me to find a place for a picnic.

The temple was aligned in East-West directing, so the perfect place to enjoy the sunset is right behind the temple. I cleared a patch of broken branches and sharp stones and laid out the blanket we had brought.

The sun was deep crimson. Hidden behind small passing clouds. If I closed my eyes, I could feel its radiance. For some weird reason, it gave me some joy.

I was about to look for Ujjwal, but he came around the corner. He, too, was impressed by the location. We sat and enjoyed the meal Firdaus packed. I cut open the bread and ladled it with a generous spread of the strawberry jam and butter. I passed it to Ujjwal and made another one for myself.

We took a bite, and our reactions were mirroring each other. It was far more delicious than either of us expected. After that, we dug right into it, both trying to shove as much down before the other finished it all. We both got a little competitive. He popped the orange juice bottle, but I grabbed that one from his hands to gulp down my dry throat.

He laughed and took it well. Both of us were down to the last bread in the basket. We looked at the bread and then in each other's eyes. Both had that sly grin on their faces. A tension tightened in the air. Our hands were ready, waiting for the perfect moment to plunge for that last piece.