Chapter 2

I spend that first night on the streets, hungry, thirsty, and clutching a tin of pens. I felt demoralized, wanting to go back home. I had nothing in this new world. It wasn't like those transmigration novels where I wake up in a the warm bed of a duchy. Thankfully, the air was warm, and the sky was clear, but it was a fitful night of sleep.

I was homeless for the next few weeks. I was able to sell the pens to buy food and a used, ankle-length dress, as was the trend here. Once I had a new outfit, it was easier to sell things since I didn't stand out as much. I copied other panhandlers, and eventually learned from them that there were several homeless shelters that might help me. I was a bit surprised, thinking that homeless shelters were more of a modern institution, but I didn't question it much since I just needed food and a place to sleep.

During those first months at the shelter, I was able to put all the pieces together, and eventually figured out that I was in the world of a novel. I was residing in the capital city, Vantal, in the country of Meriza. Alta-- as mentioned by the pawn shop owner-- was the name of another country to the west, and was in the middle of a revolution.

The country that I was in, Meriza, was ruled by a king. The country was at peace, but tensions were high since a nearby country was undergoing a civil war. There was fear that the revolutionaries of Alta would try to conquer Meriza and other nearby countries, using magic. Because, in Alta, the person who had lead the army that toppled the former government was a rare magic using sorcerer. It was said he effortlessly murdered all the leaders in one night and established a new government the very next day.

To live in a world were such power exists like that is enough to make me shudder.

And so magic became banned in all the surrounding countries close to Alta, to suppress any chance of something similar happening to their country. The people or Meriza were just as nervous as their neighbors, and were vigilant to anyone that might upset their peace The King or Meriza had passed a law that any suspicious nationalists and magic users were to be brought to the police right away. And on the day that I woke up here, I must have look very suspicious indeed, with my bloodied clothing, my confusing back story, and my supposedly very magically looking watch. I fit the bill of suspicious. I don't blame the shop keeper.

But that wasn't the interesting part.

The interesting part was that magic existed in this world. It was all but legend, until the kingdom of Alta was usurped by a magic user. Yes, magic. And there were many, many witnesses. The leader of the Altan revolution was seen using magic to lift normally heavy objects and fling them across a space with the flick of his hands. He used it to hold people down so that they couldn't move. He used it to crush the opposition at a distant, without getting close to danger. In modern times, he might have been labeled a super hero or a villain, but in these times, where superstition was still rampant, he had been labeled as a sorcerer, a witch, or a magician.

I look down at my wrist where my watch would have been. I muse that maybe it's not magic that the leader of the rebels had, but really just advanced technology that people here don't understand. Maybe the leader of the revolutionary was from a futuristic world and was transported to this world like I was. Then I bitterly think, well, I wish I had been stuck with something more useful than a digital watch, like maybe a solar powered washing machine. I bend over and sniff my clothes. It had been a week since I had last washed them. Unfortunately, living in a shelter does not grant you many amenities beyond the basic needs.

In any case, the whole back story of the revolution in Alta was already established in the novel that I read.

The female lead was a girl from my world, transmigrated into the body a white-haired beauty, daughter of a Count in the country of Meriza. She ends up as the maid servant at the King's castle, and through a series of coincidences, ends up serving the king directly. The King falls in love with her, and she falls in love with him. But then she finds out his secret.