Chapter Seventeen

The neon sign brightly glints in the dimly-lit street and there's no mistaking the music seeping from the bar. The bar, with its country tunes and American vibes, looks rather odd in these luxurious streets but Monaco is full of surprises, and nothing is ever really normal here.

"I can't believe I've lived here all my life and never set a foot here." Charles takes his phone out of his jeans pocket and taps the screen. "The guys are already in."

She follows him, her hand clasped in his as he maneuvers them inside the busy bar, until they reach a table in a quiet corner of the room but still with a view of the empty stage where a group of tipsy girls are singing what seems to be a Maroon 5 song.

It's not their usual kind of bar, but Daniel had insisted they try it out, claiming he was in dire need of a "Texan" night out, whatever the hell that meant. It was definitely an excuse to knock back some drinks between races but she hasn't been out with their friends since she'd gotten back together with Charles so she's looking forward to spending the evening with them.

She greets everyone with a wave before squeezing on the booth next to Kelly and across to Luisa.

"What are you guys drinking?" Daniel asks from the end of the table.

"Moscow mule," Charles says as he sits down next to Max and Lando, who are laughing hysterically at the next Karaoke singer on the stage.

"Caipirinha for me, please." Emily looks around the table and frowns. "Heidi's not here?"

"She's in Austria, visiting her family, but she'll be at Silverstone next week!"

"He's missing his Sheila," mocks Max as he tries一and fails一to put on an Australian accent.

Despite the drama Netflix has tried to depict in their popular series, it warms Emily's heart to see that the boys are perfectly civil towards each other when they're not on the circuit. Of course, not all drivers on the current grid get along, even between teammates sometimes, but Covid had actually worked a bit in their favour. Locked up in their respective apartments, Charles and Lando had spent hours on Twich, playing video games. She'd also learned to know Max a little bit better, thanks to Pierre who was part of the Redbull family, and the Dutch had surprised her by being a really nice and laid-back guy. Add Daniel to their little group tonight, and the night was going to be nothing short of epic, especially since none of them were usually able to keep their competitiveness at the door.

"10 bucks they'll end up doing a stupid drinking game before the end of the night."

"Well, Max is already on his second drink so it might come earlier than we think," Kelly laughs.

"Lando is really competitive. My money's on him," Luisa adds with a fond smile.

Emily snorts and rolls her eyes. "Charles is the kind of drunk who'll end up dancing on the table like an idiot. I apologize in advance for the sight. It will be forever burnt in your mind, his dancing is truly awful."

Emily sips her second cocktail of the night while Kelly tells them all about Penelope, her three-year-old daughter, and the cutest little kiddo she's ever met (Chiara excluded, obviously). She might just kidnap her one day and keep her for herself. Luisa starts telling them about her latest modeling job in Portugal, and Emily bops her head a little in rhythm with the background music (and awful singing) coming out of the speakers. It's great to be able to share what's new in their lives without having to shout, like they would have to if they were at Jimmy'z, one of Monaco's exclusive nightclubs they usually frequent. She's never really been into clubs, preferring quiet local bars where Charles and her could enjoy their nights without being photographed or disturbed by fans.