02

The muffled music and boisterous sound of voices increased as the doors to the Hard Deck opened up. He made quick work of entering, scanning the crowd for any familiar faces. He noticed Maverick almost immediately, sitting alone at the bar with civvies. He wondered if he should have worn the same before reluctantly deciding to join his superior.

"Sir," He greeted as soon as he made it to stand at the unoccupied stool beside the captain. Maverick turned his head away from his beer, returning the sentiment with a nod and a small smile.

"Church, hey!" Penny called from behind the bar, moving toward the two. She wiped her hands on a hand towel before pointing at the taps and bottles behind her.
"Your usual?" She made a sly smile in Maverick's direction with a meaning behind it that Dane was unsure of.

Church nodded, a polite smile on his face. His eyes moved to the door, spotting a few service uniforms making their way to the pool table. His gaze followed their destination to find Hangman and Coyote. He felt the urge to greet them, but stiffened, looking to Maverick.

"Are you planning on waiting till the introduction tomorrow?" He asked, leaning against the side of the bar. Maverick followed the younger's gaze, nodding his head slowly.

"Yeah." The captain confirmed. "But don't let me hold you back." He gestured a hand to the group that occupied the pool table. Penny finished pouring Dane's drink, sliding the rock glass of whiskey gently his way. He grabbed it, giving a small and nod of thanks in her direction as well as Maverick's before turning to make his way toward a few familiar faces.

"Who's your friends?" He noticed Coyote gesture to a duo of men in regards to the woman in front of them with his pool cue.

"Payback." One greeted before the shorter of the two spoke. "Fanboy."

"Hey, Coyote." The woman greeted.

"Hey," Coyote raised his brows slightly, ghost of a smile on his face.

Dane shuffled into view from behind his two acquaintances, causing confusion to color the three strangers' faces. He darted his eyes to a man previously made unknown to him from beside a wooden beam. He watched him for a moment before his thoughts were interrupted by a shout of greeting.

"Hey!" Hangman's surprise laced his voice as he sat up a little straighter from the edge of the pool table. "Glad I found you, buddy." He immediately waved Dane over.
The commander tipped his head, taking the invitation to move to stand with the group.

"Would've been an easy win if I didn't have you as my competition." Hangman smiled, cocky grin plastered on his face.
Dane scoffed good-naturedly at the comment, raising the glass in his hands to take a sip. He nodded to Coyote after. "Hey, man."

"Sir," Coyote smiled in reply, his greeting respectful, which Dane always appreciated.

"Gonna introduce us, or..." Fanboy spoke up, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You don't know this guy?" Hangman pointed a thumb toward the man beside him. "Church and me were on a squadron together a couple years back. He's the only pilot almost as good as me."
Church said nothing in reply, unwilling to take the bait.

"Oh, Church! Yeah, I've heard of you, man." Payback's eyes dawned in recognition, nodding his head quickly. "You on the detachment mission too?"

The commander shrugged his shoulders. "Something like that."

The woman who Dane now remembered as Phoenix—based off of the records he previously studied up on—nodded before looking to the stranger seated against the beam.
"Who's he?"

"Who's who?" Coyote furrowed his brow. She tilted her head to the side, causing the entire group to look at the glasses clad man. He was brushing a few peanut shells off of his lap, before looking up, growing seemingly uncomfortable under the scrutinizing gazes.