Chapter 2: Can We Just Try?

Harry's POV

It took me a while but eventually I caught up enough to call out to her.

"Mace! Macie! Macie please, I'm gunna hurl if I keep running!" I was thankful when she stopped on the side of the road, waiting for me. As I approached her, I saw the tears, the way she chewed on her lower lip, like she did whenever she was upset.

I finally reached her, her arms tight against her body, her soft white skin red on her chest and cheeks from the cold. I quickly took off my jacket and wrapped it tightly around her.

"I'm sorry Mace. You know he didn't mean it. He just has a shitty way of being protective." I said, placing my hands on either side of her face, my thumb running along her lower lip to stop her from chewing on it.

"You can't keep using that as an excuse for him." She said softly, sniffling, and reaching up to wipe her nose.

"You're right. I can't, but you know that what he said isn't true. You already know that." I searched her sad eyes and she looked away.

"I acted like a damn fool, walking over there holding his hand. I got jealous. Of you, and that blonde." She sniffled shaking her head and looking down, "You kissing me, really confused me."

"I'm sorry. I was drunk, and, I didn't think." I lifted her chin to bring her eyes back to mine, "But I don't regret it."

"Well, it can't happen again. You and me. Niall would explode. Look how he reacted towards Louis." She chewed on her lower lip shaking her head, and I ran my thumb along it again to stop her from biting it.

"I'm really good at keeping secrets." I whispered, fully not caring anymore. I had watched her grow up. I watched as she became the wonderful woman she was today, and as of recently I couldn't get her off my mind. This last break from the tour, and the time I had spent with her and Niall had me feeling so attached to her. I wanted to know more about her. I wanted to learn more about the way she moved, the way she thought, her different facial expressions when she was feeling different things.

"Haz, come on." She said, her eyes burning into mine.

"Macie, just think about it. No one would know. We would just be how we always are. Niall doesn't mind me close to you. Doesn't watch me the way he watches everyone else. He doesn't get bothered when it's just me and you. We would have a whole tour to see if...if you and I could be more. And when the right time came, we would tell him. I swear it." I ran my fingers through her hair, my hand wrapping softly around the back of her neck, "Just think about it."

Macie's POV

I felt the chills creep down my neck, that familiar scent of beer and sandalwood coming from him. It was almost intoxicating, "I'll think about it. I will."

He nodded, resting his forehead on mine, and I slipped my hands around his waist. He kissed my nose softly, and I instantly wished my nose was my lips. He shivered, and I smiled small.

"It's bloody cold." He chuckled softly and I did too, nodding.

"Let's hurry home."

He nodded, and we broke apart only for him to wrap his arm around my shoulder as we walked the rest of the way to my house.

We arrived at the house and hurried in the door, I rubbed my hands together quickly, trying to create some warmth. Harry took his jacket off me and hung it on the hanger. My dad peeked into the entryway raising an eyebrow, "Home so early? Us Horans know of no such thing."

"Well your son's an ass, so here I am." I shrugged kicking off my heels.

"And you, Harry?"

"Couldn't let her walk home alone sir." He shrugged and smiled at my dad.