[4] The Exam

You're woken up by your phone ringing on the nightstand, the vibration making the lampshade. You blearily check the name; an unknown number. Your thumb hovers over the decline button before accepting the call, "Hello?"

"(Last name), you need to come to the Agency now," The urgent voice of Kunikida snaps you of any sleepiness that you had.

"What?"

"There's an emergency and we need every hand on board," He says. There's faint shouting in the background: rough and aggressive, the same kind of shouting that makes the hair on the back of your neck prick up in alarm. You sit up.

"Give me 10 minutes, max," You hang up and quickly get prepared, shrugging on your jacket with your toothbrush in your mouth. You're out the hotel room in 5 minutes, slamming it behind you and rushing to the familiar route that you took yesterday, slamming your fingers on the lift buttons. There was a frightening level of intensity in Kunikida's voice that made your heart turn cold and drop to your stomach. You're biting the inside of your cheek before the lift doors open. The Agency door is accompanied by a long haired girl in a school girl's uniform, a pretty mole under her steel-clad eyes. She puts a finger to her lips as to silence you.

"There's a situation," She murmurs, just quiet enough that you have to strain your ears to hear her silken voice. You watch her widen the tiny gap of the already open door, before she peeks in—then, slips in as though she was a shadow with no source in anything visible like a ghost.

You're left alone behind; do you follow her? You're biting your lip, eyeing at the gap in front of you with a reluctance that seemed to make your head spin. You take a deep quiet breath before slowly sneaking into the dark space of the Agency.

The first thing you notice is how the Agency lacked the neatness it once possessed; all the chairs were turned over and thrown across the floor as though a violent tussle had occurred, with all the desk occupants sprawled across the floors: pens, papers, pencils, stationary paraphernalia loose and lost on the wooden tiles. The windows were shut tight and the shades were drawn, blocking any penetrating beams of light into the room.

You follow the girl to hide behind an upturned desk, her back to the wooden slate. You could hear the low murmurs of voices, one viciously bitter and the other jokingly satirical.

"What's happening?" You whisper. She side-eyes you.

"Dazai's been taken hostage. Fortunately, all other members were able to esc—"

"I CAN HEAR YOU TWO! COME OUT, NOW!!" The voice sounds out, and your eyes widen in panic. You purse your lips in worry before the girl nervously peeks her head over the desk, before relinquishing all stealth and putting her hands up in surrender. You follow suit, your hands shaking more than hers, "Where's the president!? I only want to see then president! If you do anything funny," He motions a slit notion over the brunette's covered neck, "I'll cut this man's throat open!"

"Okay! Okay," You try to assuage him, "To be honest, I don't know who the president is, but, but we can work things out."

The orange-haired man sneers at you, violence abundant in his dark narrowed eyes, "Nice try; I bet you're trying to make me let my guard down and use an annoying ability on me?"

"I don't even have one," You confess awkwardly. A look of surprise flashes over his face like thunder, before it darkens once more like a dark abyss. He turns to your companion.

"You! I know you. You're one of the Agency's members, aren't you? Get on one of the desks on all fours and keep your hands up where I can see!"

"What?!" You do a double take, which only seemed to provoke him.