⒈⒉⒉ 𝒏𝒆𝒆𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒂 𝒏𝒆𝒆𝒅𝒍𝒆

ACT ONE, CHAPTER SIX
NEEDED A NEEDLE

warnings: mentions of needles/being poked (as the title suggests)

eddie's words: i hope this meets your expectations (especially after a long hiatus)!

━━━━━ ʚ ♡⃛ ɞ ━━━━━

“Are you sure it’s Vita?” Phastos questioned Druig, expressing concern in his voice while he toyed around with his next invention for human development that was suspended in the air. A telephone, so that they don’t have to write to each other all the time, he explained to Ajak before she shot down his idea. Her reasoning? It was way too advanced for the current generation.

“There’s only so many faces that human beings can have, there ought to be some repeats in physical appearance," Phastos continued. "And if it was really her, then why isn’t her name the same?”

Druig deadpanned, “Right, ‘cos her parents are supposed to remember the name she was given hundreds of years ago,” he argued.

It had been a fortnight since he met Doratea. Druig returned to her as he promised, but with each glimpse into her mind, he never found anything that related her to his first love, except for her appearance and mannerisms. Today, he promised he would meet her again, but he had to first make it past Phastos and his suspicions. Everything about her just seemed like Vita. Her eyes, her smile, the way she spoke. Even if she was Doratea, there was still a hint of Vita in everything she did. She was within his reach, yet felt so far.

Phastos sighed, “All I’m saying is that it’s possible for all of this to be a coincidence. People don’t just magically reappear after a few centuries. I know you’re hurt, Druig, she was special. But you can’t keep holding on to her.”

“Like how you’re holding onto that telephone thing even though Ajak rejected it?”

But as Phastos retaliated, going on a rant about how an advance communicative device and a century-old dead witch were two completely different things that should not be compared, Druig had an epiphany. And that epiphany transformed into a theory. Druig needed to prove this theory, but it was far too risky. But what is an Eternal if not a creation who risks themselves for humanity?

“She is special. Because she’s magic,” he replied to Phastos, “so if it was really her…” A faint smirk grew on his lips, and he turned around before he could finish his sentence.

“What are you doing?” Phastos called out to him. “Druig! What do you think you’re doing?!”

But he was gone.

Phastos clicked his tongue, mumbling something under his breath. He tilted his head upward at his golden, floating prototype of the telephone. "He’s a little sensitive, and didn't mean that," Phastos assured the object. The telephone did not answer. "The world just isn't ready for you."

ʚ ━━ ɞ

The first step to proving his theory was to gain Doratea's trust. Druig figured that the Eternals would be in the empire for a while, which he hoped would be more than enough time to spend with her. Once they trust each other well enough, Doratea might be able to prove her powers to Druig, and him with her. As desperate as he seemed, he just wanted to be able to see even just a portion of Vita in her.

“I’m surprised you stayed true to your word,” the familiar voice spoke from behind him. Druig had never spun around so fast in his life. She soon stood by his side, hands folded in front of her as they watched the ships come and go. “I would have believed that I bore you, or that you would have left by now.”