30. something to wrap your noose around

Happy birthday to the loveliest of ladies!

Thank you to beatofyourheart22 and Estesmybestie for beta reading! Everybody watch Taylor's Directors on Directors interview. Southern hemisphere, enjoy the sun; northern hemisphere, enjoy the snow!

Lovelovelove - r

May 7th, 2020.

Somewhere between Caroline's precalculus and Kennedy's off-block, Taylor walked from her office to the kitchen with her cell phone.
She was wearing a yellow knit sweater with dark blue daisies, the most put-together she'd been all week. Kennedy was still processing her outfit when Taylor held out the phone and said, "mama wants to say hi."

She flashed over her last few weeks in Nashville, her rain-soaked clothes, as Joe pulled the helmet off her head. Andrea screamed in her face with the inhibition of a drunk.

"She's doing real good, Kens," Taylor said. It sounded like a final-hour plea until Kennedy played it back and caught the upbeat lilt at the end. "Please, at least a minute or two?"

It was muted, and the camera was off, but she could see Andrea's forehead on the screen, absent and encouragingly calm.

"Fine, yeah." Kennedy let go of the cap on her lungs which held them shut. She turned on the camera and microphone.

Andrea was all smiles.

"My baby girl." Andrea cooed. "How are you, love bug?"

"I'm good; school's going well."

"How's that girlfriend of yours?"

"Mom-" Kennedy grit, "she's not my girlfriend."

Caroline raised an eyebrow, "You tell her, honey," face souring in a way that made Kennedy want to turn around, flying after the tail tucked between her legs.

"What?" Andrea laughed. "I didn't mean it like that. How's Caroline? How's your friend?"

"Oh. She's good. She's in math right now, though I have no idea what's going on with that."

Taylor walked over to Caroline, crouching over her like a youthful school teacher.

"I'm doing some work today, and Twitter might get loud. You have been warned." She winked.

"Ooh, what all?"

Taylor wiggled her shoulders; it's a secret for you, too. The blonde girl let out a pleasant little laugh and got back to work.

"We've got one week left, yeah," Kennedy said. "It ends on the 13th."

"And you're staying in California when it's over?"

"Yeah, probably. I don't know where else I'd go."

"I'm sure Taylor would take you anywhere you wanted to go."

"Mom, the borders are closed, remember?"

"I mean within the states, baby. You could go out to Holiday House, or somewhere in the south. Doesn't Caroline live in Texas?"

"Caroline's Aunt lives in Texas."

"I knew there was someone. If y'all head that way, you best go see Allison and my Aunts."

"I'm sure if we go to Texas, we will."

And I'm sure that we won't be going to Texas.

"Is it for City of Lover?" Caroline prodded.