aether | a world like you

something short and sweet about the sunny traveler <3

warnings: none
WC: 645

+

           Amongst glowing fungi, water rushed and slimes hopped in puddles atop the trees. You watched as a small anemo slime chased its brothers around, splashing and spinning.

Behind you a soft tune bounced off your back, warmth filled your chest as the hum met your ears. You turned around to see Aether, sitting in front of a cooking pot. The orange light of the fire hit his golden hair and it almost looked as if he were glowing.

"Dinner already?" You asked, regretfully, as it caused him to pause his melody.

Aether's eyes met yours, and closed in a smile. "The sun has set," he replied, "and I'm still hungry."

With a laugh, your head shook, before you turned to watch the tippy top of the sun sink below the horizon. Aether shrugged innocently, scooping large servings of butter chicken onto two plates.

You were quick to join him by the fire— despite having eaten only an hour ago— and took the plate in your hands with gratitude. A blanket of silence fell over your shoulders and kept you warm while you ate, a pleasant calmness woven into the fabric.

"What are we doing tomorrow, Aether?" The familiar question left your lips— you asked it every night. The answer was always;

"Looking for my sister."

But you felt the words pierce you deeper each time they were said, and eventually, they'd go right through you. Because you could tell Aether was growing restless, hopeless— or maybe, close to giving up.

You knew he wanted to find his sister. That he missed her, and was still lost about her and his own connection to Teyvat. But with each day he spent in its land, he fell deeper in love with the world, and found himself packing up a few days late, because he loved living in it.

"Aside from that," you laughed slightly, "what else are we doing?"

Aether thought for a moment. He set down his plate and moved closer to you, allowing the blanket to fall from your shoulders, while the calmness was slowly starting to unravel.

Your shoulders touched. He looked in your eyes, watching the fire swirl in your pupils and bounce off your irises. "What do you want to do?"

You swallowed. You had a million answers, but they were all things you had done before. The words sat on your tongue, oh how you'd go to any corner of the earth with him, climb every mountain and sail every sea. You'd tell him that you would do anything tomorrow, because you'd do anything for him. But you couldn't get it out.

"Go to... the desert?"

Aether's gaze left your eyes as he turned away in a laugh, his hand moving up to cover his mouth.

"In all my years, y/n," calmer, he tucked a loose strand of hair behind your ear, "I've never met a world like you."

You stared at him, frozen. The blanket had fallen on the ground. No, it was ripped to shreds by a wild animal. You were anything but calm as your heart rate rocketed into the night sky.

Aether gave you one last sunshine smile and leaned in to capture your lips with his. His hand moved up to cup your cheek while your arms hung loosely around his neck. The scent of vanilla and cinnamon filled your nose, all while his brushed against yours.

"You make me nervous, Aether," you whispered as you parted, your head finding its way into his shoulder.

You felt him laugh before he wrapped his arms around you. "You make me nervous, too. I'm just better at hiding it."

You smiled slightly at the butterflies in your chest. He was yours at last.

While the sun had set over Sumeru skies, you sat with a star in your hands. To the star, you were the whole world.