𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

stop your crying, it's a sign of the times.

Michelle spent the rest of her time surrounded by those she loved. She was thankful everyday that everyone understood why she made her choice.

She had first told Johnny, knowing it would be the hardest for her;

They had been sitting in the park, watching the sunset. Michelle had persuaded the doctor to let her leave the hospital.

"Johnny?"

"Yeah?" He replied quietly.

"I have to tell you something. And it's serious." Michelle lifted her head off his shoulder, and looked at him.

"Did something happen? Did the doctors-"

"No. It's uh— well it has to do with the hospital— and treatment."

It took Michelle a lot of courage to tell Johnny. She knew this night would be the best, because it was just them and nobody else.

"I've decided not to go on with surgeries and treatment."

Johnny wasn't looking at her, but when he did his eyes were brimming with tears.

"What's that mean?"

He knew what it meant. Michelle knew that he knew what it meant.

"It means if I have what I think I have, i'm not going to get treatment and have surgeries."

"So you could—"

"Die." She said quietly.

In that moment it was as if a huge weight was lifted off Michelle's shoulders, but in that same moment, Johnnys world began to crumble.

Johnny knew better than too pry and beg for Michelle to change her mind. It would be selfish and uncaring of what she wanted.

Johnny took her hand,"I want you to do whatever you want to do."

Michelle's eyes filled with tears, nodding as a thank you for understanding.

When she got back to the hospital that night, she started to write a letter. She wrote one too Johnny, and what she wanted to say to everyone else was included as well. Michelle wasn't sure how to put how thankful she was into words yet, but hopefully she would be able to before.

Telling the rest of the gang wouldn't be much easier, because how do you tell the people who are your family that you're going to die?

She told Sodapop, Darry, and Ponyboy first. Even though Ponyboy already knew, telling him again and watching the way his face contorted into confusion, then complete sadness.

Darry's face had been still most of the time, but when he tried to talk his voice cracked and eyes washed over instantly.

Sodapop was probably the most understanding, but most visibly upset. He hugged her the tightest and longest. Michelle knew the boys had lost their parents months earlier, and the idea of losing someone else was beyond compared anything she's felt.

She told Dally and Two-bit separately. Dallas first, he had the saddest looking eyes she'd ever seen, but also with the angriest expression on his face.

"What do you mean 'no treatment'?!"

"It means that I won't have medicine and doctors appointments to treat me."

"Why do you get to make that choice! It shouldn't be forced—!"

"It's my life, Dally! Please—please I need you to be supportive about it." Michelle's lip quivered.