Speaking of the Mystery Girl

A banner was strung across Hopper's kitchen. Joyce and Nancy were setting out refreshments. They were preparing for Max's Welcome Home Party. They were gonna have it at her mom's trailer but the group decided it was better for Max to stay with Hopper and El for a while. Just until she got better (and to help her friends relax).

While everyone else got the house ready, Steve's job was to go pick her up from the hospital.

"Steve," she laughed, "I don't need your help. I can walk."

"Please let me help you, Max," he sighed. "If not for you, then for me."

"Fine," she smirked. She hated to admit it but once she let him help her, the pain lessened. With his arm wrapped around her waist and her head resting over his heart, Steve led Max to his car. He unlocked it and helped her into the front seat.

He jogged around and got into the driver's seat. He started the car but didn't pull out of the parking lot.

"Are you okay?" Max asked.

"There's something I've wanted to say since you got hurt," he said, his voice soft.

"Okay," she shrugged. He turned toward her and studied her. She still had bruises and you could see the bags under her eyes. He sighed as he grabbed her and pulled her into his arms.

"What are you doing?" Max asked, her voice muffled by his shirt.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there," he whispered. Max sighed as she wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him back.

"This wasn't your fault, Steve."

"I know," he said. "But it's my job."

"What do you mean?"

They pulled out of their hug and looked at each other. "I'm the babysitter," Steve shrugged. "My job is to protect you kids. The one time I'm not there, Vecna. . ."

"Steve," she cut him off. "This wasn't your fault."

"I promise," he said, his voice breaking, "this is not going to happen again. I'll be here to protect you."

"I believe that."

Steve hesitated before sighing. He cleared his throat and finally pulled out of the parking lot. They didn't say anything as Steve drove to Hopper's cabin. He looked over, his heart sinking when he saw Max sleeping against the window.

He started subconsciously driving more carefully. He took the turns slower, stopped softer, and took off gentler. When he pulled up to Hopper's cabin, he looked over at Max still sleeping.

He put the car in park and quietly got out. Steve ran up to the door and quickly knocked before jogging back to the car. He opened the car door and gently undid her seatbelt.

Without waking her up, Steve picked her up bridal style. He turned around to see the group watching them from the porch. They saw Max asleep in Steve's arms and stepped aside so he could carry her inside.

"Where do you want her?" Steve asked under his breath.

"You can put her in my room," El suggested. He followed her down the hall and gently put Max in El's bed. He was about to walk away but saw El drag her desk chair over so she was sitting next to her.

"What's wrong?" He asked gently.

"Is she going to be okay?" El asked under her breath. Steve walked back over and knelt next to her.

"Max is going to be fine," he whispered. "The doctors cleared her. Plus her best friend is a badass."

"But what if Henry comes back for her?" She asked, cutting him off. "I barely survived the last fight with him. If we fight again. . ."

"El, look at me," he whispered. She looked at him, tears in her eyes. "You did everything you could and it worked. You saved her."

"It doesn't feel that way," she said, her voice breaking.

"I want you to listen to me very carefully," Steve said trying to sound serious without sounding like he was mad at her. "I will do whatever it takes to protect her and you. He will not take anyone else from us."

She choked on a sob, practically jumping into Steve's arms. He instantly caught her, wrapping his arms tightly around her. A small piece of him was surprised that she had instantly looked to him for comfort. A few years ago, she would've run the other way. His heart softened a little at the thought.

"She doesn't blame you," El whispered. Steve looked down at her as she slowly looked up at him.

"What?" He asked, his voice getting caught in his throat.

"None of us blame you," she continued, "so you shouldn't blame yourself. You keep telling me that I did everything I could. So did you."

Steve smiled as he pulled her back in for another hug. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding when felt her relax in his arms.

"We should let her get some sleep," Steve whispered. He looked down to see El barely keeping her eyes open. He laughed as he stood up, pulling her to her feet.

"You should get some sleep too," he added. El smiled up at him.

"We all should."

* * * * *

A couple of hours later, the party was in full swing. The friends were laughing and eating, things were starting to feel normal. Just as they were starting to forget the past events, there was a knock at the door.

Without thinking too much about it, Hopper went to answer it. He opened the door to see a woman with her back to him.

"Can I help you?" Hopper asked the woman.

"I sure hope so," the woman chuckled with her back still to him. "Because if not, this has been a complete waste of time."

The girl finally turned around and instantly made eye contact with Steve.

"Well well," she chuckled, "I'd recognize that hair anywhere."

"You're. . ." Steve didn't get the chance to finish his thought.

"You've been following us all day," Nancy said. The others jumped as she grabbed her gun and pointed it at the stranger.

"Who are you?" Nancy demanded. The others were shocked. The girl seemed unphased.

The girl rolled her eyes before moving her hands. The group stared as the gun was ripped out of Nancy's hands and flew to the stranger.

"Calm down, Princess," the stranger laughed as she handed the gun to Hopper. "I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here to help."

"You," Max whispered. Everyone looked at her, confused. "It was you."

"I'm glad to see you're feeling better, Red."

"Wait," Lucas said slowly. "Are you the one who. . ."

"Healed your girlfriend?" The stranger finished for him. "Yes, I am."

Instantly the kids started shouting questions, a couple of thank yous, but mostly questions.

"Who are you?" Nancy asked, cutting off the kids.

The woman looked around the room with a small smile. Her eyes lingered on Steve before finally landing and staying on Eleven.

"My name," she introduced, "is Alice Creel."