Magic and Glyphs

Demon Bile Sac:

A Witches Bile Sac is indestructible and produces bile that is the source of a Witches Magic.

Glyphs:

Glyphs force the magic in the area to conform to a certain shape, in the form of a spell.

While glyphs cannot work alone in the human realm, they can be powered if within range of Titan's blood even if that distance is hundreds of feet away, due to both the sheer potency of the ambient magic it gives off and because glyphs are powered by the Titan itself. The further one is from a source of blood, however, the weaker and less stable the glyphs become until they malfunction and don't produce an effect beyond destroying themselves; getting even further away will only cause partial self-destruction such as burning away some lines, until eventually the glyphs will become completely inert.

Magic:

Magic, once invoked, has the ability to manipulate other natural forces. A spell, the most basic unit of magic, is an invocation that accomplishes a specific change. A spell can be simple or complex, depending on the degree of change the spell caster is attempting to accomplish.

The most common source of magic used on the Boiling Isles, witches and biped demons can cast spells through a sac of magic bile attached to their hearts. Each bile sac contains different spell phlegms that can be mixed together to create different spells, and thanks to this natural magic reservoir, witches can cast a variety of spells just by drawing a spell circle. Because bile sacs contain magic, Lilith Clawthorne, as well as Gus, Willow, and Amity have demonstrated that they can continue to use magic in the Human Realm, which has no natural magic. It is suggested, however, that this wasn't always the case, and it is implied that ancient witches did not use bile sacs for magic

Magic Focus:

Besides glyphs and bile sacs, witches can also use specific tools to aid in spellcasting. Palismen, and by extension, the staffs they turn into, contain their own magic source that is separate from the magic of a witch's bile sac. Therefore, powerless witches like Hunter or humans like Luz can cast spells using staffs. For younger witches, training wands can be used in casting more complex spells and, like staffs, can be used by powerless witches or humans.

Palismen:

A palisman (singular for palismen) is a sentient magical totem that is bonded to a witch as their familiar. The palisman acts as a staff, and are acquired by a witch as part of their education. Palismen can prove to be both a loyal friend and a powerful magic-enhancer, acting as an external source of magic for use in spells, transportation, weaponry, as well as other mystical purposes.

Palismen are made from an enchanted plant called palistrom, generally in the shape of an animal or magical creature. Upon being carved, they gain life and sentience, and are bonded to the individual that created them. They are the Boiling Isles' equivalent of a familiar, while also acting as magical staffs that house their own source of power outside a witch's bile sac. Because of this, palismen are capable of using the magic stored within them as well as the witch utilizing them. Although they provide great magical power, that power still requires the user to have previous knowledge of magic to cast a spell.

Despite acting as a witch's staff for the most part, a palisman is an independent, sapient entity capable of having consciousness. They can detach themselves in staff form and act on their own. Most palismen choose to be loyal to their witch and have a close bond with them. Any given palisman can disconnect from their staff via a unique interlock that mates it to only their own staff and no other. Although the staff occasionally manifests as a separate piece, palismen such as Owlbert, Frewin, and discarded palismen have shown they can transform between staff form and back, which suggests the staff may be an extension of the palisman itself. All staffs can also be used to fly, making them a witch's main source of transportation.[6] A witch can summon their staff by command, or conjure them from thin air when needed. While in flight, winged palismen may animate and begin flapping their wings.

While a witch and their palisman are joined by a relationship of affection and mutual respect, the palisman will leave if the relationship is harmful to them. A witch can also choose to abandon their palisman if the staff suffers irreparable damage or loss. A palisman can return to their witch if the witch proves that they can be trusted again, or if the lost/damaged staff is repaired or replaced. Otherwise, the palisman can become the partner of a new witch of whom they find to be worthy.

Traditionally, witches in their teens will carve their own palisman and staff from palistrom wood, at school or with parental supervision as part of their education. However, palistrom trees have become an increasingly rare resource and the ones that are left are heavily guarded. As a result, a system of palisman adoption has been instituted by Principal Bump with assistance from the Bat Queen. During this process, a young witch will step forward and speak their greatest ambition, and if a palisman is compatible with the emotion of that ambition, they will come forward to meet their new partner.

Their nature as both living creatures and objects is an interesting case, as while having the ability to turn into an object and can be damaged or cracked, they do have souls. In this sense, they have the properties of a living creature but can also function as an object. Furthermore, the Bat Queen, despite her being a palisman, has had offspring of her own and lives as a well-recognized and prestigious demon. This implies that palismen are capable of living just like every other creature on the Boiling Isles, although this may simply be a consequence of the Bat Queen's unique origin as the palisman of an ancient giant.

While palismen can cease to function if damaged beyond repair, it's hinted that palismen have incredibly long lifespans and are capable of living for thousands of years, as is evident by the existence of the Bat Queen. It is unknown if they are effectively immortal in the sense that they don't age.

A palisman can also transfer it's life energy to its owner to heal them from fatal injuries. This act, however, brings a ultimate sacrifice, for while the owner is being healed, the palisman dies and dissolves into starlight.