Chapter Ten

Vance was pissed, rightfully so, his best friend was dating the guy he knew he had a crush on and then that guy goes on and makes out with another guy, it just didn't make any sense. Vance knew he should've waited and seen Bruce's point of view but he didn't want to, so he didn't.

Finney wasn't sure what he was feeling, a mixture of guilt and sadness took hold of him, he wanted to know what the next move was yet his brain refused to corroborate.

When the roommates slipped out of thier respective beds they didn't speak a word to each other—Vance didn't even look at Finney and yeah of course it hurt but he kind of deserved the cold shoulder. Vance exit the building without waiting for Finney like he usually did, instead walking at a steady pace while Finney watched the ground.

From the corner of Vance's eye he could spot Bruce—he was hard to miss.

Bruce was heartbroken. Last night when he ran away, he went back to his room and slipped into his bed. He wasn't going to get up—ever—but he needed to make things right, that was the only thing keeping him going, the fact that he needed Vance and Finney to know how much they meant to him.

He wasn't sure why he did the things he did, sometimes that's just how Bruce was—messed up—all he knew was that he wasn't a bad person, right? He always did what was best for everyone.

Vance caught the boy's eyes for a second, maybe even less, though it was a second too long as Vance clenched his jaw and ignored Bruce as he kept walking—Vance wasn't one for mercy.

School was pretty boring up until lunch. The three friends, or ex friends, didn't know where to sit; Bruce couldn't go sit with his other "friends" because Nathan was there, while Vance and Finney didn't have other friends to sit with, so they were screwed.

Bruce watched as Vance and Finney sat down at the same table on opposite ends while he found himself sat in an empty seat near Nathan's table. He didn't eat anything because he wasn't hungry but Bruce swore to god that he heard his name being said. He turned to watch Nathan's table and they were watching back—not again. Bruce was done with this bullshit so he stood up and went over warrenting himself a few dirty looks.

"What are you doing?" He spat watching as the table fell silent, Bruce just hoped it wasn't them spreading more rumors. "Um, talking...?" This blonde boy said passive aggressively. "Well, don't believe anything Nathan says—he's a pathological liar," Bruce warned reciveing a snicker from the same blonde boy. "From what I heard last night, you're the pathological liar, trying to date two friends at once without telling them... that's pretty shitty," Bruce's face dropped and he stormed off, they didn't know what they were talking about.

Vance watched this interaction from afar and he wanted to wipe the look off of Nathan's face—this coy sort of expression that was anger inducing.

When 4th period struck, Finney, Vance, and Bruce found themselves in the same class, luckily the teacher had to seperate them the week prior because they wouldn't srop talking so they weren't in close proximity. The group had picked themselves for the project like Finney wanted the only problem was that they had to present soon and they weren't on speaking terms. Luckily class ran out of time before Bruce's team was called so they had another day to sort things out—if they ever could.

When school ended Bruce went to the bathroom to figure out a game plan. He needed to apologize and he couldn't bear to see Finney again without being on at least semi okay terms.

Bruce was getting peace of mind and he almost started figuring things out when he heard a commotion from outside. When he looked out of the window he could spot two students fighting while a crowd had formed around them, watching. The boy rushed out there as soon as possible and it shouldn't have been a surprise but of course it was Vance and Nathan.

Nathan was down on the ground and Vance was hitting him—just like the night Finney was getting beat up and Vance had to stop him, he wouldn't stop hitting, but this was significantly more severe.

By the time staff had came over to pull him off, Nathan's face was a bloody pulp, it was extremely gross. Finney and Bruce both watched as the ambulance was called, as Vance was immedeitly expelled, and as the group that had crowded around was disbanded—everything was in slow motion.

Vance was sent to get his stuff and Finney ran to catch him on time, not wanting him to leave without saying goodbye. The boy was packing all of his clothes but stopped upon seeing Finney at his door. "You have to leave right away?" He asked, eyesbrows furrowed, he wished it could've been different. "Yeah," That was the first word Vance had muttered to him since last night. Finney didn't care that they were fighting, he went over to the boy and pulled him into a hug, to his surprise Vance hugged back.

"Tell Bruce I love him," The boy whispered. "You're not gonna wait for him?" Finney was surprised and confused, sure they were fighting but again it didn't matter anymore. "I can't–" Vance shook his head. "–just tell him i'm sorry,"

Finney sniffled as he helped Vance pack.

This was all so sudden though Vance wasn't planning on being here long, that's what he said from the start, this would've always been ineviteble.

By the time Bruce got there Vance had gone down to the office to wait for his mom who would be utterly pissed upon arival. If Nathan's family chose to press charges, Vance could end up with a fine or worse—jail.

With tears in his eyes Bruce ran to Finney and hugged him. This was all his fault he knew it was.

After the much needed hug Bruce went back to his room to open a letter—the one Vance, or Finney, had given to him. Last night he was too tired to read it but now was as good of a time as ever.

I thought I could lie forever,
I thought I could tell the truth
   I thought a lot of things,
   alot of thoughts,
none of them ever as beautiful
as you,
   I thought I could live forever
  I thought I could die with you
You were a lot of things
A lot of thoughts
   All of them as beautiful
   All of them as dark
I thought poetry was easy
and honestly I give up
   I really like you
   Sorry

Bruce smiled at the poem, it was stupid but beautiful—everything in which he liked about Vance. He'd really miss him, he really would, he'd miss his insults, the way he tried to hide his smile, the way he hated horror movies, his hair—everything. The worst part was that things with Finney also wouldn't be the same that's one thing he'd also miss.

If Bruce had a superpower he'd want to go back in time, maybe then things wouldn't have gone to shit—maybe he could actually fix things.

——————

Notes: Okay so no one died, sorry Luka, I know I said Bruce would die but I'm nice (unlike you/j) also I couldn't think of a way to kill him that made sense plot wise lmao anyways that is the end of the story I hope you had a fun time reading it, I had a fun time writing it!!! No happy ending because I don't do that here.

Word count: 1,307