"Row, me Bully Boys, row..."

I strummed the ten-stringed instrument, and it sounded alright. Nowhere close to Alan's, but good. From there I continued playing the notes (or, close as I could) that he would entertain people with.

And it's Row Me Bully Boys

We're in a hurry boys

We got a long way to go

We'll sing and we'll dance and bid farewell to France

And it's Row me Bully Boys Row

I missed Alan, Little John, my brother Will Scathelocke (or Will Scarlet, as some people called him for his fiery hair), and I missed my dear Marian. Still, I didn't want any of them looking down at me from the heavens just to find a boy in a bad spot. I wanted to honour the memories of those who I played games with as a child, some of whom I fought with side by side. Alan loved homecomings and was always preparing himself for when the Crusade would end. So I decided to do the same, for getting back to the highland kingdom I'd become loyal to.

Once the instrument started to feel more natural, I kept going.

See now we feast on pheasants by the flock

Row me Bully Boys Row

It's a long, long way from the gruel and the stocks

And it's Row me Bully Boys Row...

And it's Row Me Bully Boys

We're in a hurry, boys

We got a long way to go

We'll sing and we'll dance and bid Farewell to France

And it's Row me Bully Boys Row...

And so it went on.

A few hours later, the sun had risen into a cloudless sky, making the future look bright.

I'll say this. Merida and I had already carried enough pheasant and smaller prey in our game bags to last a few days. I laughed to myself thinking that the timing of that song couldn't have been better.

But then came the fact that we were stuck on the side of a cliff, and how we wound up there to begin with. Those bandits, hounds, whichever they were now, still prowled around in those woods. Merida and I could see Castle DunBroch from the ledge outside the cave, and the vast tree canopy stretched over more miles than I could fully comprehend. But those green leaves also gave them the upper hand. At this high angle, we couldn't see anybody. But they could probably see us, or smell us.

"Know what?" I said, trying to lift our spirits a little. "Once we get outta here, what do you say we go around and rough up some real poachers together?"

"Well I'll say this, Robin Longstride." She put emphasis on my real name, which I somehow didn't expect. "I think it's time to change yer fate now, eh?"

Merida fished a long dark turquoise scarf from her knapsack and tossed it to me. I curiously held and stroked the material in both hands. Like the DunBroch tartan, it was chequered with deep red and grey.

"What's this for?" I asked curiously.

"Dad's idea." she answered. "Said yeh've been a hard worker and have probably earned a place here by now."

Briefly surprised, I turned back to the garment in thought. "Oh... thank you." I said as sincerely as I could.

"Yeh better treat that good," she mumbled with half a grin. "Those are the royal colours."

I returned a lighthearted chuckle, not knowing if she even intended for me to hear that.

"Do yeh know what the clan's insignia means?" she asked, referring to the device on their flags depicting a sword pointed downward.

"What?"

"It represents bravery and the protection of the kingdom. And thinking symbolically, I think by now yeh've earned the right to bear it."

I looked at her quizzically and she responded.

"Bravery is a choice, Rob. And it takes courage to be who yeh truly are. That's one of the riskiest things in the world."