Chapter 12: Might and Magic

"The wolves are howling again."

"But there are no wolves on Prospero."

"...I know."
Conversation between two members of the Psykana Militant on Prospero, M24. 213.

M24, 241

Forzare System, Prospero

The schola-city of Tizca shone brightly, as it always had and always would. A shining example of the Federation's mastery of the psychic arts, Tizca was a marvel of science and the arcane, boasting massive pyramids with mirrorlike surfaces that rose into the clouds above,

Seven beings that looked like humans sat in council together at a long steel table. The power that was contained in those mortal shells made it so that they could be barely classified as homo sapiens anymore- each was a force of nature in their own right, psykers who had mastered the pinnacle of their crafts.

"I have received the latest statistical update concerning the psyker population." Makarion Ulmas was the latest in a long line of fleshcrafters that hailed from the now-gone nation of Adytum; it was said that his control over the flesh was unparalleled, that there was no malady he could not cure nor any disease he could not inflict. "More and more psykers in the Beta-Alpha range are being born each year. And yet, the mental and spiritual instability continues to grow; we have lost eight thousand more than last year."

The woman-shaped being seated at the head of the table looked down at the courtyard below. A dozen psykers clad in green-white robes moved their hands as one, guided by an instructor as they manipulated a torrent of shifting lightning. Elemental formations were useful things, harnessing the power of many to do wondrous acts. As she watched, the lightning forked and split apart into several smaller bolts, before reforming again into one. Their technique was unrefined, but the coordination however held much promise.

I understand. Her mental voice echoed through everyone's heads. Kathicia Jorenn, Alpha-Class psyker and High Marshal of the Psykana Militant, rose to her feet- or rather, reality reshaped itself so that she was standing up. I would like for everyone to look at this.

The panels at the center of the meeting table disappeared, the platform below rising up to reveal a single ingot of metallic rock, encrusted with veins of glowing gold. A warm light radiated from within, bathing its viewers with the power of order.

"So that is Aur-Fulgurite." Hyperion Alech, Master Pyrokine, said softly. "I see that the reports were not inaccurate- it is indeed inimical to the servants of the Three."

"One wonders what created this kind of substance." Shadray Kolhelm muttered, the golden light from the substance dancing in the chronomancer's eyes."The Galactic Core is a strange place.."

"Is it possible to integrate it with the Longinus Legion?" Hyperion asked, leaning forward to take a closer look. "I can imagine they would benefit from it greatly."

"That would fail to utilize its full potential, Alech." N01 said softly. The formidable technopath had nearly over eighty-five percent of their body converted into mechanical components; only the brain and the spine remained organic. Two mechadendrites extended from their back, one of them extending a plasma tool, cutting a silver from the rock as the other one held it steady. "Yes. This does indeed match the specified purity." They paused. "I believe the Silver Chevaliers would be more suited to have Aur-Fulgurite in their armouries? They are, after all, those that seek out and destroy the slaves of the Outer Dark."

N01's suggestion holds merit. Kathicia's mental voice echoed again. But I believe the majority of it will go towards the development of the Mark VII Psycannons as we agreed beforehand, yes?