T W E N T Y N I N E

THE DRAGON'S WRATH

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

✧✧✧

Visenya had spent her time back from Driftmark securing betrothals for her children. Alyssa would wed Prince Aemond when they would both reach 18, and Naella would wed the Heir of Winterfell, with the help of Queen Alicent, when she too would be 18, as Cregan, son of Lord Stark, had been a few years older. Valerion had been betrothed to Lady Maris Baratheon, as Lord Baratheon had four daughters and no sons, he sought for suitable marriages for them.

Visenya tried to find one for Aelor as well, but it seemed none of the Lords wanted a Prince with a scar on his face for their daughters. Aelor understood, and never blamed anyone for the scar on his face, not even the cousin who caused it.

Rhaenyra had spent the remainder of the year on Driftmark, not daring to go back to Dragonstone which belonged to her sister and would always belong to her unless she sat the Throne, but when word reached her of Visenya securing betrothals for her children, Rhaenyra started to panic. Her sister had never shown interest in the Iron Throne before, not in securing marriages for anyone, not even herself.

Lord Corlys tried to ease Rhaenyra that because she was the second daughter, she wanted a good life for her children who would receive nothing, except her Heir who would receive Dragonstone after her. Rhaenyra wondered who it had been, her first children were her twin girls, and from her understanding, she betrothed one to the son of Lord Stark and the other to Prince Aemond.

Rhaenyra felt war coming from her own sister, as she was planning something she couldn't imagine. But in truth, it was Visenya who believed Rhaenyra would start a war on her.

She had done nothing to make up for the fact her eldest son had been maimed over the argument of a dragon, while she had dragged herself out of bed right after giving birth to her children. Rhaenyra never apologised, nor even acknowledged her sons should not have done what they did. Visenya prepared herself, fortifying Dragonstone with her dragons, Grey Ghost, Morghul, the Cannibal and even Sheepstealer had joined in the circling flights of his fellow dragons. Caraxes had joined as well along with the younglings of Visenya's children.

Visenya had secured all but three of her children in good political marriages; to the North, to appease the Hightowers and to the Stormlands. Rhaenyra had been a fool, in her mind, to not secure a marriage for her eldest son the moment he was born given he was her supposed heir for the Iron Throne.

"What has been circling your mind, sweet wife?" Daemon asked when he found Visenya sitting in a chair before the fire of her room, Daenaera attached to one breast as Maekar played with a wooden toy which Valerion had gifted to his younger brother. "I have become paranoid, I see things that aren't there, thinking my sister is planning something against me" Visenya said as she looked at her husband.