28. Tormenting Wait

I jumped from my seat and ran for the Main Hall after I heard the loud voice booming, "ALL REPORT TO THE MAIN HALL, NOW. I REPEAT, ALL REPORT TO THE MAIN HALL, RIGHT NOW!"

I didn't know what was happening but I had a gut feeling that it was not good. Totally, utterly NOT GOOD.

I burst into the Main Hall and saw almost the whole of student body swarming, muttering and.......tensed.

I found Bex, Nova and Eva huddled in a corner and jogged my way to them.

"What's wrong?" I asked. I was out of breath.

They stared at me but said nothing.

"I asked what's wrong," I said again, impatiently.

Ironically, the answer was given by someone else.

"I have gathered you all here today to discuss, or rather, to enlighten you regarding.....er...few things," Freya's voice was strong though she looked tired. Ferdinand was at her side and he caught my eye but gave nothing away.

"The demons have increased their attacks on us more than ever. So much so, that they have resorted to kidnapping our students."

Freya's words left me cold. Demons? Back? Kidnapping students? Who?

An audible gasp ran through the hall as the muttering and the murmuring increased. Who could have been kidnapped?

"And that is why, we have decided on certain rules and regulations. Number one, there will be a curfew after 7 pm sharp. No students will be allowed outside after 7. No classes will be held out in the forest. And most importantly, we shall have the protection shield put up after 6 which will block all possible evil spells. Am I clear?" Freya said.

No one said a word as they all gaped at her. Then from somewhere, someone raised their hand up.

"Yes?" Freya asked.

"Who has been kidnapped?"

"None of your business," Ferdinand snapped just as Freya replied, "Daphne Clarke. But that is none of your concern. A search party has been dispatched. We shall find her soon."

Her words left me shaken. Daphne. My cousin Daphne. My sister I never knew I had. Oh my gosh.

"I have to get her," I blurted and my friends shrugged.

"I don't think you can, Ren. Not in these circumstances," Nova said.

"But Nova, she is my cousin!"

"That doesn't matter, Renna. You're our responsibility and you're going nowhere," Bex said angrily.

The crowd around us seemed to disperse and get back to their work. I stood there in the middle of the foyer.

"Fine," I said slowly. "Here's the deal. We wait for the search party to appear with Daphne before 9. If they don't, then I'm going out to look for her, with or without you guys. Is that fine?"

"Fine," my room-mates replied in unison.

• • •

"Renna!"

I turned at the sound. I was as usual walking aimlessly when it came. I had decided on going back to the library but thought better of it at the last minute.

"Hey, Arnold," I said half heartedly.

"What's up?"

"Oh you know, the usual. Monsters attacking. Cousins getting kidnapped," I rambled on.

"Hey. Are you okay?" He asked, his voice full of concern.

"I don't know, Arnold. I mean, what do I even know? I'm not even sure about my name!" I laughed bitterly.