17: welcome to starcourt mall

Mollie (pov)

April 1985

I was on my way to the pool to see if I could get my yearly training in before the summer started until I saw Steve leaving. He didn't see me as he was racing back to his car in a rage. I don't think I've seen him that mad about anything.

I had an idea as to why Steve was mad now, Billy was here. Not gonna lie, not working here would be better for me. Instead of asking for my recertification training, I opted on just quitting. I know I can get a better summer job at Starcourt Mall since that place has so many stores that are hiring. And with that, I hopped onto my bike again and set off for the mall.

Once I got to the mall, I made a beeline to the music store. I could get a job there and get an employee discount on almost everything there. I was able to put in an application and wait for an interview in one day.

The manager was a man who I can only describe as late twenties, tall and lean, his name was David. The interview went great and he thought my ever changing taste in music is what he was looking for in an employee and hired me on the spot. I was so lucky and it felt like I was one step closer to my dream job.

With that, I was able to get a ride on the public bus back home. To make the time go by faster, I put on my music and watched the clouds in the sky.

Once I got home, Dustin was freaking out about what to bring with him to camp. He wasn't leaving until June so I don't know what his rush was. I was greeted by a small meow from Tews, the new family cat.

"Hey, Mollie-Moo. How was your day," mom asked once she saw me.

"Pretty good, I quit my job at the pool and-"

"I hope there's something good after that 'and'."

"And then I went to the mall to find a job at the music store there and got hired on the spot," I said proudly.

"Oh, congratulations honey! When do you start?"

"I'm working weekends until school is out and then I can start part time in June."

"Sounds like fun, why don't you get Eddie to work there with you, he likes music just as much as you, right?"

"Yeah, but I don't think he's best suited for that kind of job, he likes doing his gigs at the Hideout every week. I'm sure they pay him and the band enough."

I was not about to tell mom about Eddie's actual job that makes the most money, if she knew she probably wouldn't let me keep on dating him.

"Well, to each their own. Anyway, dinner's ready."

Meatloaf for dinner, not my favorite but I'll eat it since I haven't really eaten today. Afterwards, I went to my room for the night and got everything ready for the next day. This summer is going to be a wild one, I can feel it.

~June 1985~

I was working the closing shift and I could hear the faintest sound of Lucas having playful banter with his little sister, Erica. It was movie night for the kids and the only way in the movies without paying was the backway through Scoops Ahoy, the ice cream parlor across the food court. When I learned that Steve got a job there last week, I was happy for him. Getting this job for him was a big thing, so I treated him with any new music of his choice on my discount.

Ten minutes after I faintly saw Steve let the kids go on the back the power to the whole mall went off. It felt like an eternity later when the power came back on. David said I was free to go early since there was me, him and Daniel working. I didn't have to give that a second thought. I punched out of the time clock and headed across the court for ice cream then to home. Dustin was coming home from camp tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited. I missed him for the past month

I was halfway to Scoops Ahoy when someone picked me up from behind spinning me in the air. Eddie being able to find me in a sea of people amazed me.

"Hey, babe. I saw you got off work early, so I was thinking-"

"That we could get ice cream to-go. Good idea."

"That too. But tonight we can stay out and do whatever your heart desires."

"Ooh we could see what's left of that meteor shower that happened a few nights ago. How's that sound?"

"Sounds great. Now, what kind of ice cream do you want?"

"I don't know yet, let's look at what they have."

Hand in hand we made our way to the counter, Robin was there manning the station.

"Welcome to Scoops Ahoy, what can I get for you," Robin said, in a fake peppy voice. "Oh, hey Mollie, Eddie."

"Hey, Robin. Can I get a mint chocolate chip cone, a small one, please."

"And I'll have uhm, the same thing but medium size, thanks," Eddie said finishing the order.

He offered to pay so I wasn't gonna argue about it, the more money I can save a nicer gift I can get him in the future. Once we were out, we headed to the other side of the county where you could see everything in the night sky without all of the growing light pollution.

The drive out was peaceful, the music in the background and the wind in my hair from the open window and Eddie sitting beside me. Just us watching the stars above us.

"Did you know that the stars we're seeing tonight have probably already died out like a billion years ago," I said.

"Is that so? You got any more fun space facts," Eddie asked.

"Uhm, oh. This is a good one; space is completely silent. Contrary to all the fun noises we hear in Star Wars, a real fight in space would be boring."

"I'm trying to picture it now but with no sound and you're right, very boring."

"I'm always right."

"Yes you are."

I went to close my eyes just for a minute to soak in the night but before I knew it, Eddie was on top of me just smiling down at me. The dimple on his left cheek was showing more than usual, he was up to something.

Then he pulled out a joint silently asking if we could share it. I wasn't gonna pass it up, I nodded as he lit it up for the first hit. It's always fun getting high with him, there's usually nothing to worry about since he knows the best spots to not get caught with it.

We did half the joint and I could already feel its effects on me; a slight buzz and the most relaxing feeling at the same time. The effect it has on Eddie is a lot more fun than mine. He gets extra cuddly and affectionate and it makes for an even better time for the two of us alone. By the time the joint was finished, we were laying on our sides staring into each other's eyes.

The sudden touch of his hands and the rings on his fingers on my neck sent a shiver down my spine. He pulled me closer to kiss me ever so passionately leading to a make-out session and then leading into more intimate pleasures.

When we were halfway down from our highs he brought me back home close to midnight. Before Eddie let me leave the car, he gave me a kiss goodbye.

"Sleep well, sweets. I love you," he said.

"You too, hun. I love you more," I replied before he drove off.

This summer is by far my favorite in this lifetime.