You're a flashlight in a dark room (kleinphy/hurtcomfort) PT 1

Tw: alcohol/drug use, abuse, transphobia, overstimulation, other triggering topics

Jared's legs felt like they were going to give out from exhaustion, every other step he took felt like hell. He was pushed back and forth through the crowd of highschoolers pouring out the doors to leave for home. There were too many things touching him at once and everything was far too loud, his skin crawled uncomfortably and his head felt fuzzy.

He was this close to falling over and collapsing when he got to his car, an old broken down Honda that was probably like 10 years older than he was and had a mile count higher than he could count if given a weeks time.

When he turned his key into the hole, the rumbling noise of the rusty engine rang in his ears. He felt like his brain was shaking inside of his skull.

He ran a hand through his hair, letting out a sharp but slow exhale as his fingers gripped tightly against the steering wheel.  He drove home silently, his radio had been busted since freshman year. Not that he had any crazy story of how, it just stopped working one day and it's not like he had enough money to fix it.

He would listen to music with his earbuds while he drove but... well he couldn't charge them in the morning anymore since his mom hadn't payed the electricity bill in a while.

He slowly opened the front door, it was pitch black. He let out a small sigh as he began to walk upsta-

"ELI !"

Goddammit.

Jared paused, before turning around and walking over to the kitchen. Bud-light cans were overflowing in the garbage cans and there were bottles of various things both strawn across the counter and shattered on the floor.

"You didn't finish your chores last night." his mom hissed. Jared nervously shoved his hands into his pockets. "I did though..?" He mumbled.

"You didn't unload the dishwasher or clean out the kitchen, look at how disgusting it is in here!" She motioned around them with her hand, glaring daggers into the shorter boy. "Wh- but- but you didn't ask me to!"

"You should fucking know better!" She took a step toward him. He was frozen in place. "It's your fucking job, Eli." "That's not-" "-sometimes I question if you're even my daugh-" "-BECAUSE IM NOT! IM NOT!" As soon as Jared shouted that, regret flooded inside of him faster than it ever has in his life.

She grabbed his arm tightly, her nails digging down into his flesh. A whimper of pain escaped his lips.

"Talk like that to me one more goddamn time I fucking dare you." She snapped, breathing heavily with rage.

Jared said nothing.

"That's what I thought." She let go. He stumbled backwards, his shoulders shaking. "Go finish your chores, and pay the bills while you're at it."

And then she walked out of the room, and Jared was reminded that he was completely and utterly alone.

Tears began to prick in his eyes for the first time in years. He wanted to scream, he wanted to sob, he wanted to claw out his own heart with the shattered pieces of glass littering the floor to get rid of the feeling of hopeless that built and built and built inside of his chest with no sign of slowing or stopping.

He listened anyways though, of course. Sure, in public he's rude and brash and oh so stubborn. You'd think he wouldn't bend over for anyone, that no one could command him.

Not here though.

Here? He's nothing but weak. He's nothing but weak and pathetic, undeserving and ungrateful.